Monark II springer fender

GoldenMotor.com

Iceboy

Sep 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Has anyone successfully attached a functional fender to Monark II springer?
I'm working up my second build and it just doesn't look right without the fender.
I can weld and machine some rudimentary items. I realize the dangers that come with a front fender but the reinforced one on my first build has gone over 2000 miles with no problems. I do look it over every time I get on the bike.

So, any clues, hopefully with links or pictures.

Thanks.:-||

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think you should use side mounts like a motor cycle, and run the fender mount up and over inside the fender for strength........Curt

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Like Curtis said and You could always tap the bottom of the fork stem for a bolt through the fender.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
look at the way harley-davidson did their springers. if you look at the late springers the first was way up high but their last one has the mounts that move with the wheel. if you want to get fancy i've seen steering stabilizers used as shocks by putting each end on the front and rear legs. good luck dennis

Iceboy

Sep 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks Dennis. I have some old motorcycle books and some pictures of old bikes my grandparents rode in the early 1900s. Strange how I never thought of that avenue of inspiration. Looks like I need to do some more research.

Jim....

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
If you bottom out would the tire hit the fender? Could you make one fender for the front and one for the back of the forks? Are those forks any better than the cheaper springers? Can you mount a hub motor to those forks?

Iceboy

Sep 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Kev,
What I was pondering was do I attach to the moving or the stationary fork. If it is mounted to the moving fork the tire can't hit it but the fender can then hit the stationary fork. If it is mounted to the stationary fork it just doesn't look right. I may have something figured out but it will be a week until I am back to where the bike is.
As to the quality of the Monark, I think it is of a much higher quality steel and the welds were good but the one I got wasn't straight in the headset tube. I would have returned it but I was cutting it down before I noticed it. A friend that is a master welder fixed it for me. I would check the next one for square before touching it.

I can't see any reason why a hub motor wouldn't work on the Monark. I don't think it would look too good on the front but that is just one mans opinion.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
My old Monark/Whizzer with the original fork has the fender mounted to the stationary fork which is the way they were from the factory. The fork is tapped for a 1/4-20 bolt. Works fine.
Geo.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
some of these aftermarket forks break with motors on them [weight and vibes]. norm at venice motor bikes has the stronger welded up ones. i've seen broken ones at the races. sportscarpat makes real nice ones also. dennis

Iceboy

Sep 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for the info Geo. I am assuming that you mean the fixed fork is tapped in the crotch for want of a better word. I will have to take a look at mine but I seem to remember an out of round hole there.

Dennis,
I purchased the Monark II fork from the guy selling them on the side of this site. It seems well built besides the fact that it wasn't straight when I got it.
I'll be sure to watch it closely and let the forum know if there are any problems though I don't expect any.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
from what I've been picking up around here, the real issue is where the support arm mounts to the fender itself. If that connection lets go, the support bar becomes a 'sudden destructive emergency brake'

I think that welding or otherwise reinforcing that joint is fairly simple, but a must.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
from what I've been picking up around here, the real issue is where the support arm mounts to the fender itself. If that connection lets go, the support bar becomes a 'sudden destructive emergency brake'

I think that welding or otherwise reinforcing that joint is fairly simple, but a must.
GW, If the fender lets go, it follows the wheel around and jams up an' bam. Face plant. Really, really hurts. Really, really hurts. Most often the little "L" bracket gives way after failing.

Lots of ideas around on how to shore em up. They will try and kill you. Dang traitors!

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
GW, If the fender lets go, it follows the wheel around and jams up an' bam. Face plant. Really, really hurts. Really, really hurts. Most often the little "L" bracket gives way after failing.

Lots of ideas around on how to shore em up. They will try and kill you. Dang traitors!
^this dude knows his stuff. and also that link shows an impressive solution!

has anyone had any luck mounting something like this?
I'm thinking light, one piece of plastic or fiberglass, mounts to forks.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thank you most kindly. Really, GW. always get lots of opinions. Free and a great value, lol.

There are plastic, break away fenders. I can't think of the name but some one will know. Great thinking and option.

Fenders are great to have when they are not trying to trip your bike.

Saw a Ebike that had little broom like things. Gonna try it. they swept the water off at 3 or 9 o'colck. really cool idea. Ugly but cool.