1910 Pierce Clone - "Peace"

GoldenMotor.com

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I've seen the real thing close up and perfectly restored...only trouble is most of the guys who own these never take the chance of getting them dirty with gas and oil and they wind up being living room furniture/ trailer queens. Anyway, all that grumbling aside, this ought to be an interesting build and I'm sure you won't leave it in the living room, it'll be cool to see the end result. Please keep us up to date with progress.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Thanks guys, I must say right off the bat that this is not a average motor bicycle build, and I know some will say maybe it shouldn't be on this forum (no pedals). I participate on forums for old mini bikes, antique motorcycles, and this site and have bikes that fit in all the catagories and think (hope) the Peace will fit well here. I consider the Monroe build as a warm up for this bike because as you will see this is not a retrofit but a complete build from the frame up. I actually completed the bike in the spring and have slightly modified it once, after riding a bit around the hood, to rectify a small problem. I documented the build literally from a pile up so here we go....

Reactions: Jaroe

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
In the Beginning....I've always wanted to start something with that! Here's the first pictures I took of the pile of parts I started with. As usual this project started changing about the time I started working on it. Some of these parts were not used as the project evolved.....

Attachments

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
The first part I wanted to make was the front end. I did this to make sure the frame angles and height off the ground would be right. I used two bicycle front ends and I made a shock absorber from stainless steel pipe and a heavy spring (which would later be changed to a heavier one). The toughest part would turn out to be the bracket on top of the shock which connects to the top of the stearing head and would have to with stand most of the weight of the bike and rider. This part would also end up being remade after some initial ride proved it unsatisfactory. With the front end mocked up, I started on the front frame downtube. The complete frame will be made from 3 inch stainless steel tubing. Before starting I took the pictures of the original Pierces and marked and measured the angles between the forks and seat post to try and duplicate exactly. Last picture is my grand daughter admiring my handy work.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have been relooking at the Monroe. and was wondering how you fastend the leaf spring to the fork?
What a cute little angle you have for a helper. I have a greategranddauter like that only with red hair..........Curt

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
The spring is welded on the fork, I was worried about it at first but it seems to be OK. By the way were interested in a spring? I rounded up one for Silverbear and found another in my scrap pile. Let me know.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
In the Beginning....I've always wanted to start something with that! Here's the first pictures I took of the pile of parts I started with. As usual this project started changing about the time I started working on it. Some of these parts were not used as the project evolved.....
Gads I cant see it too good is that an old Clinton? Aint seen one of those in a while. If it is I still have a ton of decals for them somewhere in a box.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Gads I cant see it too good is that an old Clinton? Aint seen one of those in a while. If it is I still have a ton of decals for them somewhere in a box.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The spring is welded on the fork, I was worried about it at first but it seems to be OK. By the way were interested in a spring? I rounded up one for Silverbear and found another in my scrap pile. Let me know.
HAY that would be great I will pm my adress let me know how much. I have the other one you sent SB I am going to build him and me a fork. He did a seat for me AWESOME. ............Curt

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Motor is a Wisconsin AB (1936-1949) and is a hoss to start, it has a huge flywheel. Don't think a starter could be fitted with the flywheel/fan it has. It's got a huge magneto on it also. I'll see if I can find some other pictures.....

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Man, this is coming together nicely! This is going to be a real class act, I love that front end, very tidy looking piece of work!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Motor is a Wisconsin AB (1936-1949) and is a hoss to start, it has a huge flywheel. Don't think a starter could be fitted with the flywheel/fan it has. It's got a huge magneto on it also. I'll see if I can find some other pictures.....
Looks a little like a Clinton L head from the same era.

Yea I doubt you would ever find a fly wheel that would accept a ring gear let alone a way to mount a starter on the crankcase. I have had some of the old hammer mags make me pee my pants LOL. Does that mag have the fiber gears in it? This guy has a handle on some good parts sources just make sure to put on some shades before going to his site or your eyeballs will bleed:
Magneto Parts for Antique Engines & Tractors

I used to have a cool collection of vintage engines but got rid of most of the really good ones sometime back.

I bet if I dig in my tool box I can find an old time brass compression release you could make work on it to ease the starting.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Can an electric start be adapted to one of these motors. Thinking you would have a starting/generating system.

Steve.
I think it could be done you would have to run the belt around the outside of the flywheel. most of the starter generator set ups were on bigger engines. You would hve to make sure to get the right on some turn clock wise and some counter clock wise. Then you need the regulater to go with it.They only put out about 12 amps but that was enough for garden tractors...Curt