Pocket bike powered bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Hey, I'm new to this site and I wanted to share what I've been working on for the last little while. It started life as a Norco Dirtmaster that I found abandoned in a ditch when I was a teenager. I took it home, fixed it up and drove it as a bicycle for a few years. About 10 years later, my parents were cleaning up their garage and came across the bike again, so I took it back to my place, where it sat for longer, until I was given a pocket bike engine. I made a mounting plate for the engine and that's as far as I got with it until I got a new job close to home with lots of free time! I brought the bike in, and with the helpful donation of a 70s Harley peanut tank, finished it off! It did have ape hangars on it before, but I've always liked the look of café racers.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
That is a nice looking bike. It looks like you could fill it up, ride it every day, and still eventually have to dump out stale gas and replace with fresh!laff

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Well I haven't had to fill it up yet!! Even though its called a peanut tank, there's more than enough gas for this engine! Eventually I will have to give the tank back, so I am working on a smaller tank. I had one mocked up out of cardboard before, but this was just easier in getting the bike mobile.
I just finished up some proper foot pegs and a (very necessary!) chain guard.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Oddly enough, this bike is closer to a true cafe racer than the majority of customised motorcycles that are claimed to be cafe racers. Nothing unnecessary on it, and no ornamentation.

Well done.

Reactions: Mikunimike

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Thanks for the compliment! She definitely doesn't have any extras! I would like some better brakes though! I'm thinking discs if I can get them on a 20" rim..

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
This is what it looked like new (I'm pretty sure)

The ride is a little bouncy, I'm hoping I can service the front shocks to make it a little better, and maybe match up a couple shocks for the back..

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Great job with your cafe build! These are my favorite type of motorized bikes and I always gotta give props for a well made ride! I like the jackshaft axle in the bottom bracket.

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Thanks! Yeah I wasn't sure how I would do the jackshaft.. I just so happened to have a couple of snowmobile bearings lying around, and they fit like they were supposed to be there! I am hoping in the next couple years to build a full size Cafe racer out of a Yamaha xs850 that I have lying around my garage taking up space!

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
I had a plastic pull start on my engine, but every now and again, it would twist enough to jam itself against the flywheel, so I bought a metal one. It's much tougher, but it was a bit rough looking when it came.. Nothing a file and a can of engine enamel can't fix!!

Before

After

cali9x

Oct 3, 2016
USA
This is what it looked like new (I'm pretty sure)

The ride is a little bouncy, I'm hoping I can service the front shocks to make it a little better, and maybe match up a couple shocks for the back..
I looked it felt weak so it is too small chassis