Western Flyer BTR

GoldenMotor.com

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
Ditching my 'Old mountain Bike BTR' for this new bike I picked up. 1950s Western Flyer with a 1957-58 RI licence plate on it.

I pulled it all apart and it is quite rough. Im in the process of sanding all the rust down then im going to blast is clear with a lot of coats. Ive been stripping the rims and im 90% sure there still completely solid but its just soooooo much work. But i'd rather keeep the patina than buy a new pair of rims. Crank is free and smooth but ill open it up. The stem came out fine and its NASTY in there. I cant get the bolt off the stem to drop the fork out so I cant clean it:/ Ill keep trying. Thinking about getting new spokes but they seem solid too. Hubs are free and I dont no how to take them apart so Im not sure I should. I REALLLY want to drop a 4 stroke kit stripped down but cant afford one so ive been on the search for a used one. Hopefully someone here is willing to part with one for cheap...???

Going to put a lay back post seat post and biggg head light. If I can get the 4 stroke I'll be stoked but right now ill just work on the bike

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you flip the bike over, you can spray some lube into the fork. pb blaster works good. let that sit overnight and you should be able to get the stem bolt loose.

and you need to clean and regrease the hubs. fronts are simple. the rear you can google the brand and find instructions.

search "sheldon brown" and you'll find the best website for every bike repair you could ever need. he's the guru when it comes to bikes. (rip.)

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
I appreciate that! I sanded down all of the frame to get rid of flakes and clear coated it 3 times today!

Im going to open up the hubs tomorrow probably after some research tonight

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If you take a look at my album, you'll see how rough mine looked when I started. You have some work ahead of you, but for a nice, solid bike like that classic WF it will be worth it in the end. I'm always glad to see good vintage steel bypass the landfill and return to the streets again.

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
Got quite a bit of work done to the bike today. Re greased the hubs, sanded and clear the rims, realigned the spokes, made a tank, and got tubes/tires on the bike! Now shes a rider!! Front hub is wobbly im alittle confused about that right now.

The tank is a slammed 60s fire extinguisher. I plan on going with copper piping and a glass fuel filter.

Slowbalt id really love to drop a HF 212cc in it but thats way over my head. I wouldnt have the first clue how to build it but am open to trying it because a vertical engine that size would look incredible in this frame!

Attachments

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
I think id rather do that anyway. not ready for 212 i dont think. Maybe a Briggs or Honda?

Would it be a bad idea to impulsivly go buy a hf 79cc engine this weekend and just build it to the frame as I get parts/ guidance

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Putting a HF 79cc in will take a long time. And you my get frustrated. I would suggest getting a 2stroke kit toss it in a frame so you have something to rid while working on the flyer. You can always sell it when done................Curt

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
i have an almost look alike with a 2 stroke on it! So im really looking to go 4 stroke for reliability. Maybe Ill wait it out till someone parts with a used kit or something. I dont have $300 to blow on a new one:/

Anothing problem im having with the bike is the seat post is completely seized. Its old school with the bolt thats like 12 inches down through it just like the stem of a fork. Is the seat post permanently put in the frame or with heat/ wd-40 could i get it out??

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you have a ride go for it. You should be able to get that seat post out. The best why to losen rust is heat and then followed by cold water,it may take a few times but workers best. For a good over night soake use 50/50 mix of auto Tracy fluid and acetone. Much better then WD40......Curt

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
I really don't know your budget....but if you can afford it a honda gc190 is around 6 hp and looks great. If you ca. Afford more a Tecumseh 10 hp flathead would make the thing fly, especially with a cvt! Both have vertical cylinders and horizontal shafts. Both can be set up with electric start. I have the part numbers for the honda. If you want one for the fecumseh you will first need a ring geared flywheel whi h can easily be found on ebay.

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
I really only have $250 to spend on getting it going down the road:/ believe me those engines are exactly what im looking for. Im tired of 2 strokes!

Do you know of anything I could build for that? I appreciate the help

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
Humn....the Honda GC190 alone is about that price....and you would still need sprockets chain and a jackshaft assembly to get the power back to the wheel! Perhaps with luck you will find a used engine....even a HF 212 engine is around $100.00 with a super coupon....in reality you might need to raise your budget to see a realistic drivetrain in the type you seek. Sorry if this is a wet blanket but there you have it.

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
No worries. Just going off to college next year is forcing me to be extra frugal. I dont have skill to built up a engine so im really looking for a used kit or used motorized 4 stroke bike I could take apart.

If I went with a horizontal mounted 79cc Hf around what do you think the final build of all that would be?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
If you went with a Comet Torg-A-verter that would eliminate the jackshaft issue and would operate great right out of the box.

So a quick one option breakdown----

Harbor freight engine- appox $100
Comet CVT shipped- appox $250
Final drive chain- appox $25

Engine mount- Price to be determined?
Rear hub- Price to be determined?
Custom gas tank( ? )- Price to be determined?

Others here will likely have good alternatives to this and will know more about rear hub and engine mount costs.

-Kirk