shift kit from bikeberry... need some help

GoldenMotor.com

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
i only have the 1st couple gears then it skips a bit like its slipping off the teeth or something i dunno its the shiftkit from bikeberry.com the front freewheel sprocket gears are bigger then standard mountain bike gears so have to use a bmx chain on it to fit both front and rear sprockets i just put on a new derailer and still having the skipping gears problem if anyone else is having the same problem please let me know and what i can possibly do to fix it so i can use more then 2 gears

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A standard 1 speed BMX style chain is too wide to work correctly on a multi speed rear gear cluster. It will drag against the sprockets on either side of the sprocket it is riding on and cause the issues you are experiencing.
If your bikeberry front sprocket's teeth are too wide to fit into the narrower multi-speed chain you could try getting the correct sprocket from SBP and replace it, or try your hand at filing or sanding the bikeberry sprocket teeth thinner.

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
A standard 1 speed BMX style chain is too wide to work correctly on a multi speed rear gear cluster. It will drag against the sprockets on either side of the sprocket it is riding on and cause the issues you are experiencing.
If your bikeberry front sprocket's teeth are too wide to fit into the narrower multi-speed chain you could try getting the correct sprocket from SBP and replace it, or try your hand at filing or sanding the bikeberry sprocket teeth thinner.
yea thats what i was thinking too use a grinder and make the teeth thinner but it will be hard to keep them all even is my worry i may try buy a sprocket from sickbikeparts and try that i just home the bolt holes line up

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The front sprocket that's driven by the jackshaft is supposed to use a BMX chain, the inner sprocket that drives the rear cogset is the thinner mountain bike chain.

Skipping can be caused by a number of things like a sticky shift cable, if it doesn't shift to the next gear freely it will skip because the derailleur wont travel far enuff to allow the sprockets to align all the way. The fix is to lube the cable or even replace it if its got a kink in it. Also if the derailleur isn't properly adjusted it will skip. A bent sprocket in the rear cogset can cause it, I just had that happen at the last race.

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
The front sprocket that's driven by the jackshaft is supposed to use a BMX chain, the inner sprocket that drives the rear cogset is the thinner mountain bike chain.

Skipping can be caused by a number of things like a sticky shift cable, if it doesn't shift to the next gear freely it will skip because the derailleur wont travel far enuff to allow the sprockets to align all the way. The fix is to lube the cable or even replace it if its got a kink in it. Also if the derailleur isn't properly adjusted it will skip. A bent sprocket in the rear cogset can cause it, I just had that happen at the last race.
figured it out already the sprockets i got from the bikeberry jackshaft kit are both he same size i had to grind the smaller inner sprocket down with a grinder evenly all the way around to fit a standard motorized bicycle chain to the cog rather then trying to use the bmx chain there... now the skipping has stopped and am using a proper mountainbike chain to the cog from the inner sprocket

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Handy fix.

Now did you put your Jump Stop on?
I have never used a BikeBerry anything but the SBP kits come with them.

It is just a chain guide you mount to the seat post to keep your inner wheel drive chain from jumping off to the inside and getting caught in the nuts holding your sprockets to the freewheel.

This is NO FUN to fix on the side of the road and chances are it will toast your 7-speed chain.

To adjust it put your bike in 1st (the biggest inner sprocket) and adjust it in to almost kiss the side of the chain.

Note you don't need this for an internal shifter running 410 BMX bike chain, just the thinner 7-speed chain.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I used the original front derailleur as a chain guide instead of the jump stop so it keeps the chain from jumping off either side. In rough terrain I have had the chain come off the inside and wedge between the two sprockets and the derailleur stopped that from happening again.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I used the original front derailleur as a chain guide instead of the jump stop so it keeps the chain from jumping off either side. In rough terrain I have had the chain come off the inside and wedge between the two sprockets and the derailleur stopped that from happening again.
Cool, I usually strip the whole front derailleur system off every build direct drive or shifter but that should work for ya ;-}

BuddyVape

Dec 5, 2013
canada
Handy fix.

Now did you put your Jump Stop on?
I have never used a BikeBerry anything but the SBP kits come with them.

It is just a chain guide you mount to the seat post to keep your inner wheel drive chain from jumping off to the inside and getting caught in the nuts holding your sprockets to the freewheel.

This is NO FUN to fix on the side of the road and chances are it will toast your 7-speed chain.

To adjust it put your bike in 1st (the biggest inner sprocket) and adjust it in to almost kiss the side of the chain.

Note you don't need this for an internal shifter running 410 BMX bike chain, just the thinner 7-speed chain.
no bump stop came with the kit i will have to buy 1

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here is something you should get as well. A Sram 890 chain. I've ran one on my shiftkit for over three years; its still holding up good. This chain is used on 8 cog and under clogs.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya, you want the strongest chain you can get with external gears but your best defense against chain and sprocket wear is learning how to shift with finesse...