SWEET - 5:1 Gearbox With Double Right-Sided Drive

GoldenMotor.com

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
No, I would not be interested in your concept- too complicated with jackshafts. My thinking is the beauty of engineering is in simplicity. But nothing is preventing you from building your concept. I say go for it. Maybe you can improve on my concept. So far my cvt is holding up fine. I have no complaints and it's performing well. I gives me good power and acceleration from a stand-still and it's very well balanced and easy to build, no jackshafts required. Very happy with it.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I have another objection to punching up an MB with too much speed. I would be very cautious about excessive speed, especially on a bicycle like a Schwinn cruiser. This type of bike is not equipped with shock absorption and the tires are only 2 and 1/8 inches wide. A hard bump at faster speed could be dangerous. It's just a bicycle. I personally believe the safest power range on a cruiser is no more than 32cc. In Illinois the legal hp limit is actually 1hp and no more than 20mph.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
When you say double right-sided drive, I refer you to Treewks postings on the other site. He's called NEAT TIMES here. He has a complete explanation of the double drive with parts listings. Check and search for it.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
But nothing is preventing you from building your concept.
How many times should I say it has been built and proven far superior than the CVT system over two years ago.

But I understand not having confidence in your bike frame for going faster than 20. In kit form, the choice of frame is wide open. .wee.

After an hour ride, the shimano is lukewarm. The CVT could cook an egg. All that heat translates to lost power. Its no contest. The idea that putting the jack-shaft in between the wheel and the 5-to1 tranny would be complicated is laughable. Nexus owns the CVT in relabililty, top speed, and plain ole' coolness.

Its just you are so close to integrating the system. Heck you could make the CVT or IGH (internal geared hub) an option.

I still think your setup is sweet. It would be about 10 dollars worth of aluminum and fasteners to add in the shifter. Move the engine to the right .75 inches...

Shifters rule!

PS your 1.5 hp must already be breaking the law. Rock on!

Attachments

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I respect your opinon but I'm just not interested. If you're excited about the your mod, you should be the one to build it. I want to enjoy the summer riding my three bikes.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I've been testing my design. Had a coouple of bugs, chain kept coming off so I had to redo the motormount, align the chain better, and put a chain tensioner on. Solved all the problems. This Tanaka purrs, a great motor, very quiet with my silencer. And very little smoke. I used Sta-mix smokeless semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil. I am thinking of making a video.

Last edited: