4 Stroke Schwinn Panther Fremont, CA

GoldenMotor.com

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Selling my 4 stroke Schwinn Panther. Located in Fremont CA. Well over 2k invested, looking for a reasonable offer. It hasn't been run in a few years and is rusty now, it will need some tlc before running/ riding. Copper tubing was recently replaced(but already discolored) and I have a brand new 10ft chain to give the buyer(should be enough for both sides of bicycle).

1953 Schwinn Panther Straight bar, American made steel frame, powder coated blue

Reinforced Monark springer fork from SportsmanFlyer bikes, powder coated blue

Huasheng honda clone 49cc 4 stroke engine

Welded steel engine mounts

EZ Qmatic transmission featuring belt drive reduction to clutch

Worksman Cycles aluminum wheels with strong 11 gauge stainless steel spokes. Front drum brake, rear coaster brake

Custom made stainless steel gas tank that fits between the frame tubes from SportsmanFlyer bikes.

Custom machined rear 62 tooth sprocket and machined sprocket hub mount from SportsmanFlyer bikes.

Fat Frank balloon tires, cream colored.

custom welded lay-back seat post from SportsmanFlyer bikes.

Comfortable Bontranger wide cruiser seat

copper fuel lines

glass fuel sediment bowl

custom machined wide pedal cranks and sprocket from SportsmanFlyer bikes.

Build thread here. current pic here

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
It's too bad your bike is in sad shape. If it was top shape, then maybe $1500. In its present condition, $500, especially if you're unsure of the engine's condition.

It all depends what the buyer is willing to pay. Years ago, I traded my son's used laptop for an NE-5 Whizzer in very good condition. The year before, the seller had wanted $1800 for his bike.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I have to disagree with it being worth only $500. A ~$150 engine replacement doesn't drop the value that low.
Yeah right now it's not worth much. I can clean it up and get it running for a price.. I work at a place where I get a lot of small motor vehicles like this.

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
I am perfectly capable doing cleaning and repairs myself( I did build this bike after all), thanks for the offer though. I am mostly looking to sell as is. Like I said I'm including a brand new chain, new copper tubing and if I really have to, I'll buy a brand new engine. The surface rust doesn't affect most of the components other than cosmetic, which some people really like. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but you guys as fellow builders should understand the quality of the parts this bike has on it. The frame, forks and gas tank alone far exceed the $500 value 5-7Heaven stated. I will update my post with the parts list in case people don't want to read the build thread.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I like the bike, nice quality parts on it. Its a hard sale in that condition, Venice Motor Bikes might be able to give you some advice on sales since that setup is his specialty.

I unloaded a bunch of my bike not too long ago and and really gave them away for what I had in them...the thing is I never road them so the cash was nice in the pocket.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My advice is to get the bike running & well tuned!!

Your asking price is fair for what you have, but it's really hard to get that kind of money for something that isn't 'ready to ride'. ;)

Transportation

Oct 8, 2016
Gilbert AZ
My advice is to get the bike running & well tuned!!

Your asking price is fair for what you have, but it's really hard to get that kind of money for something that isn't 'ready to ride'. ;)
What he said. I do believe your price is fair only if it's fully ready to ride. You'd see used cars or motorcycles on craigslist that only requires minor work selling for half of what it's worth because the full price for all the parts and mods are too much to buy something that is just a "project."

However, if you really want to get your asking price without restoring your bike, i think you will be better off parting the bike out and selling them in parts. The bike and the gas tank is really nice, and there's probably plenty of people who want to buy the bike and the tank for a good price.

Good luck with your sales.

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know fixing it up or parting it out would bring a better price, but I'd rather just sell as is so I'll lower to $1300 to see if there is any interest.