starting a trike truck project

GoldenMotor.com

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
That is one sick Trike. Methinks you guys are going to drive me to build a sidecar, so I can have 3 wheels too.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Its actually pretty much a copy of a simplex truck (trike)..cheated some on width and length...changed the footrest area and made a truck bed instead of the plain box they used. It's fairly stable in tests too. I'll get over my anger here with posting pics and add a link to bed pics.
BTW...I made two of these...one for a friend

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
That is one sick Trike. Methinks you guys are going to drive me to build a sidecar, so I can have 3 wheels too.
I love sidecars...be neat if a nice one was offered for motorized bike sizes that holds more then a dog and wasn't several thousand dollars

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Its actually pretty much a copy of a simplex truck (trike)..cheated some on width and length...changed the footrest area and made a truck bed instead of the plain box they used. It's fairly stable in tests too. I'll get over my anger here with posting pics and add a link to bed pics.
BTW...I made two of these...one for a friend
Wow racie I thought that was a genuine Simplex truck trike you had there. All credit to you and your workmanship and skill to have build such a great looking trike.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Just bent up the back parts...cut a frame(they're easy to find) and started welding! Thankyou for the compliments everyone

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
No..there's no wear though really, it's nice and smooth and snug. Theycould be done I guess though. I did install a brass bushing where the front part slides up through the fork..I'll get pics later if I can.....oh and btw...the bolts are shoulder bolts..fairly beefy

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Awesome fab work on the trucks. Your metal bed is such a great improvement over the "box" produced by the factory. Lends some '40's or '50's style to the handsome lines of the bike frame. Can't wait to see future progress & ultimately three completed Servicycle trucks! Rick C.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Two trucks...one bike....I plan on finishing this one by summer. The bed I like more also,but I've seen good examples online of the plain box lettered up etc too. If the bike was original I woulda maybe done the plain one.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From my own sidecar experience, it might be worth considering boxing the headstock area or welding a stay on each side, with a gusset to spread the load at the headstock, and then down to the actual chassis rails just behind the driver.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
More so than the box there now Ludwig? The truck versions had the same frames etc...wasn't thinking it was a weak point but I'm open to suggestions

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Please check post 57 Ludwig on page 6...that's one of the photos showing the box . I have trouble uploading pics but I'll try to get a better view on later

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I suppose I'm just paranoid, and if the original trikes had no problems, you shouldn't either.