nice tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is made for a pedal chain. It probably won't hold up to the stress from an engine if that's what you're planning on using it for. The plastic sprocket won't take the abuse.

Tom

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I concur with Tom. Plastic sprocket made for pedal chain. What you want is one of these. Can be purchased here on this forum user name Turbobuick1. Also a cut roller (not necessary but good tracking insurance) can be purchased from user name Mapbike. I try the best I can to make both chains happy without a tensioner at all. If you have a chain break and patience you too may omit this component all together. NOT all frames are created equal. See my album "happy chains" to get an idea of where to begin.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
In addition, the tensioner you're looking at will work great if you use it on the pedal chain and run no tensioner on the engine side. A common problem is to be unable to get proper tension on both chains when not using a tensioner on the engine drive side. Once that is set the pedal chain can be too loose or too tight. Using a slightly longer pedal chain and a tensioner will cure that problem.

If you're fortunate enough to have horizontal drop-outs the above suggestion works well. If there is no adjustment/provisions to move the rear wheel fore of aft then you're going to need a way to adjust tension. Chains wear, (stretch) and eventually you'll need to tighten it.

Tom

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Agree agree agree . But when necessary i would rather set the engine chain slack with the drop outs and put a tensioner on the pedal chain then vise versa. Pedals are mostly foot pegs anyways. Well i 4 stroke so i dont need to pedal to start up either. Proper gearing and away it goes. In fact ive replaced my pedals with pegs on my latest build. That plastic wheel is easy to replace with a steal cog wheel ($4 the last time i bought a few) it bolts to the end of the adjustable arm. , but it is also ment to replace a multi speed derailer.
I just figured for the cheap price it would work and look nice, except i dont have a derailer tab on my gt2 frame, but the new gt2 frames do i believe.