Riding Lawnmower rear axle push trailer?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Just thought I'd throw this idea out there to see if anyone has tried it. The rear axle on riding lawn mowers is pulley driven seems like ya could throw a lawn mower engine in front of it and atatch it as a push trailer thereby curtailing the 50cc rule as it would be on the trailer not the bike.
I've seen a lot of these in lawn mower junk yards:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foote-Trans...396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417861df9c

.trlrl.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I really think it would be simple enough to do...

mesh the rear end of the ride on and throw a basket on top with a knuckle joint seat post and quick release clamp...

bing

Id been mulling the idea of welding a ladies bike frame to the rear end of a ride on and throwin a 212 and one of those noisy clutches on...

but a trailer would be sweet, and a pusher too...even better George...

.trlrl.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Be a while my funds are limited but in time...I used to tear up my grandad's riding mower using it as a go-cart but if all that gets trashed is the rear end from a scrap yard what the hey!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Dude I agree...you should do one too
Have you SEEN the welding I do with this HF buzzbox?
Whoever changed my quote obviously didn't look too close at my pics....
The best thing to be said for my current work is that it seldom falls off when hitting bumps. Hack work with whatever is at hand.
Just goes to show you though how easy it is to build stuff on a tight budget with some scrounging and a few decent tools. A little skull sweat and some elbow grease and stuff gets interesting!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Problem with a LT transaxle is the gearing. If you are not in a big hurry its ok stock with a bit of overdriving with the primary input ratio. I helped a friend build a racing lawnmower. Since he really didn't need gears we locked it in high. He had a liquid cooled Kawasaki V twin from something in the high 20hp range. Since he had the power to do so the primary input was set at 1:1> top speed was 35+. If slower speeds are ok the build would be one power house hillclimber/tow vehicle!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with cannonball. Gearing will be the limiting factor in using a transaxle. You may be able to swap input pullies depending on the transaxle. I once saw a racing mower with a tiny input pully on a stock transaxle that would easily do 50 mph so it's not out of the question.
The mower was very hard on belts if I remember right due to the tall gearing.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Just the kind of input I was looking for! Speed is not what I'm into hauling camping gear long distances is my think...thanks so much for the input!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Keep in mind your tire size will also affect overall gearing. Using larger tires is relatively easy.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Keep in mind your tire size will also affect overall gearing. Using larger tires is relatively easy.
I agree, I think depending on the size of the axle the lt has, you might be able to throw some front tires on instead of the little rubber blow up ones, unless youre planning to do a hybrid motorized drift trike, the id say leave em on and get the wheel cups...lol