A marvellous old photo.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Cool. The first looks kinda like a small, mid-'teens motorcycle club. The second looks like an early ride-in bike show.
That guy in the first pic, I've got gloves like that. Those long-cuffed gauntlets. They're actually pretty good for brisk weather and keep cold, damp air from rushing up your sleeves and freezing your arms. That, and they look WICKED.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The front one of the three bikes is a spring frame, which I think makes it a Powerplus.

I also have a pair of old gauntlets, a memento of a friend who died a god few years ago now. 2 door is right, they really do keep the breeze out of your armpits.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Here is another from WWI

The British, at Dardanelles in 1915. Appears to be a whole herd of Douglas bikes.

Seems the brits were far too manly for gloves or gauntlets.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I’m seeing a slouch hat and a few pith helmets- Any way those might actually be Diggers (Australians)?
There is every chance there are some aussies there. The British were the majority in that area, but there were some Australian troops there. And we know how much the aussies like the Douglas machines, they are still riding them today.

The British had 15 divisions there before it was over. The Australians brought a lot of horses with them, along with the "New Zealand and Australian Mobile Veterinary Section AVC" They were still a horse mounted army in 1915

Tough bunch of messengers there, whatever country they were born in.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Mr. B, was interested in your comment "Diggers?" Iv'e only heard that term used for a lowly tribe of early California Indians (not the bike). Is that also used for some Aussies?