bike to scooter to recumbent (new project)

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I started tinkering again trying to get this motorized recumbent project off the ground again. I may switch frames and or wheel sizes, but right now its got a 700c front wheel for pedal power & a 26" rear wheel for engine power. I've got a brand new set of Sun Rhyno Lite 26" wheels in a box that may need to get onto this recumbent. I'm still trying to figure out the best front wheel mounting, stem, seat mounting and braking...Will post more pics and start a new thread once it gets underway.
Here are some prelim pics.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got it together enough today to be road worthy although I didnt hook up the front v-brakes yet. I took it for its maiden voyage around the block a few times.
At first, I had difficulty adjusting to the MBB (moving bottom bracket) format. I am an experienced recumbent rider having owned & raced recumbent bikes and trikes both front and rear wheel driven, but never a MBB. After rounding the block twice, I got the hang of it and now feel comfortable with the handling. I still need to do something about a backrest to support my back & push into. I'm not too sure yet if I am going to motorize this bike since I havent taken it up to ludicrous speed yet, but I have a feeling it will be squirrely at high speeds?
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I solidly mounted the seat bottom onto the top tube using some old inner tube & hose clamps. I've been working on mounting the back rest and will complete the rear struts today since I started my vacation early & its supposed to rain all day here. Once the back rest is mounted, I'll come up with a neck rest using some floating pool noodles for padding.
The handlebars will be cut and altered to be lower and closer to my body. I think I can get them to fit just behind my leg pedal stroke.
Once I get the handling dialed in, I'll probably motorize it with a Mitsubishi 43cc. After all this is a Motorized bike forum, not a pedal only forum...lol
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got a lot more done on it today.
I got the seat back solidly mounted, hooked up the front v-brakes, bar ends, grip shifter, new rear wheel & new front solid axle.
I need to put a few miles on it tomorrow riding with my daughter around our neighborhood before I plan the engine mount. Weirdest thing about the MBB layout happens right at takeoff & probably due to the input of power into the pedals which affects steering. I noticed that my pulling on the handlebars opposite of the pedal inputs gets through the 'weird' feeling stage with flying colors. The quirky low speed handling disappears once the bike gets rolling.
Here are some of the in process pics.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I rode the bike some more and am getting comfy with the handling.
This thing really is comfortable and rolls well. I'll probably fab a neck rest soon & plan on purchasing another 5:1 pocketbike transmission after Thanksgiving to begin the motorizing.
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Over Christmas break I took some vacation time and spent it with family up north. Just got back today but while I was gone I surfed many bike projects and will be building a 'Tall Bike'.
Its going to be 2 bikes stacked on top of eachother and bolted together via the top fork to the steerer stem of the bottom bike and another attachment at the top bike bottom bracket shell to the bottom bike seat tube. I'll also connect the top bike dropouts to the bottom bike dropouts with some 1/4" angle aluminum.
I wont be cutting or welding either bike just in case I want to take it apart and stop riding the 'Tall Bike'.
Here is the video which served as the inspiration for what I want to build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86d-rtWqBA0
Has anyone seen a motorized tall bike yet?
-Lowracer-

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I certainly haven't heard of anybody motorising a tall bike. Could be tricky though since they tend to be a bit tippy towards the rear.

Have you heard of a Pennyfakething? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQH_2kz1H3o

Now that I'm considered to be an old lady and with my balance not being so good I'm not so daring anymore as to attempt to build and ride such a thing.

(Please note: I don't actually consider myself to be an 'old lady', but other folk seem to want to put me in that category.)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
IWW,
That was a cool video.
Here is a pic of a gas blower powered tall bike similar to the pennyfakething. I saw the video yesterday but can't find it today anywhere? (didn't save in my history). I like the design & it seemed to handle really well.
Cheers,
-Low-

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
IWW,
That was a cool video.
Here is a pic of a gas blower powered tall bike similar to the pennyfakething. I saw the video yesterday but can't find it today anywhere? (didn't save in my history). I like the design & it seemed to handle really well.
Cheers,
-Low-
Warning! Warning!
Imminent Impulse Control Module failure.
Vivid Imagination Module approaching critical design limits.
Acting One's Age Control Module critical failure; Backup Systems critical.

Warning! Warning!
Seek Higher Ground Immediately.
Intrepidness Module now at Stage IV and rising.........

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Major cool attack! :D

Thanks lowracer. That bike is very much in the mold of the old penny farthings, but without the big wheel of course. Some of the later penny farthings were built with a smaller wheel, but with a chain drive so they could have the same speed as the hi-wheelers only without the challenging climb up to the seat.

Modern versions of penny farthings are available........ http://www.elmycycles.co.uk/bikedetail.php?id=494

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
IWW,
Good stuff!
I enjoy all aspects of the bicycle and am getting a new fork tomorrow to begin the Tall Bike project.
I'll probably create a new thread to post build pics.
Depending on how well it handles and how comfortable I get with it under pedal only power, I may add an engine. The handling of my recent green MBB recumbent I built was just too squirrely for me & it didnt merit adding the engine. I'll probably take that one apart soon to re-use parts for other ideas I have floating in my cycling mind.
I think I am going to turn the curry scooter into a real low, recumbent lowracer but will need to get someone to weld on a boom or buy a cheap stick welder & do it myself.
-Low-