custom expansion chamber?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The only issue I can see is the seam left by welding them up flat. With a TIG bead, you could really get it looking nice!
But even if you do it with an extension cord and coathangers, the extra points for actually building your own chamber is expert level cool.
The only thing I know of to trump it would be hand rolled cones and weeks welding.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I used my MIG welder to weld it up a tig would have been a lot better. The sheet metal is pretty thin to weld with a MIG gun. The more a wild this thin the better I get.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I used my MIG welder to weld it up a tig would have been a lot better. The sheet metal is pretty thin to weld with a MIG gun. The more a wild this thin the better I get.
I know what you mean... It seems like everything I've had to weld recently has been under .040" thick... I'll usually limit my pedal current to around 50 amps to help prevent blowing a hole in whatever I' welding but sometimes there's that one thin spot... Biggest thing about the thin metal is there's no way to do it quickly. My last pipe was off a pocketbike and that metal was like .040 in some places and .020 in others so I had to lay the rod over the gap and gently hit the pedal until I see the rod start to melt then hit it a little more until I see the metal start to melt and take in the filler wire. It works but takes forever... but I am getting better at it and "normal" thickness metal is a breeze to weld now... lol

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I really like those inverter welders... Huge improvement on how easy they are to strike an arc... especially when you haven't welded in a long time and need to re learn it in a hurry. Even super low amperage and it almost strikes the arc for me.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Much less rod sticking on super low amps.
best of all digital read out so you know exactly how many amps you got.
I'm using wet and old 2.5mm rods and welding pushy frame, only real prob is I get a few pin hole slag intrusions I have to go back and fix.
And I'm certainly no expert welder.
Anyone want an old buzz box? I hope to never use it again!
The only reason I havn't thrown it away is incase I need to weld from a generator for some reason, also the heavy/long leads I got for it while I was building my house cost a bit.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Same here, I got an old buzz box that I never use anymore because I got lazy and spoiled by the inverter and the TIG.. The buzzbox is a 240 amp Century with AC and DC outputs, I really liked the DC output a lot until the inverter ruined me... lol
I'm no pro by any means, but as much welding as I've done just on my bike project I'm getting a little better at it... I only need to keep 5 spare tungston rods out each time I weld instead of all 10 of them...