Attention new members!

GoldenMotor.com

ItsMeTheNat

Mar 24, 2017
PA
any cruiser with gears and real brakes and 26' wheels is good - I tend to build the ones with smaller frames tho, as it is nice to get both feet flat on the ground
Ahhh that makes sense.

Where would you recommend I start? I'm looking to get my bike assembled within the next couple weeks...

Is it pretty easy to assemble on my own?

Raincloud

Feb 19, 2017
Peoria,IL
I was afraid My motor was locked up, and then discovered the chain had kinked under the front sprocket cover. This is My first build, but as soon as the chain had a few miles on it, it was fine. I had to take the cover completely off, to find the problem, I had looked into the cover with a flashlight and it looked ok, but it wasn't.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Ahhh that makes sense.

Where would you recommend I start? I'm looking to get my bike assembled within the next couple weeks...

"easy" is a relative term - depends on how handy you are with tools and doing the kinds of work the tools are for

one starts by reading a LOT on this board (paying special attention to what often happens to noobs in the 'troubleshooting' threads

Raincloud

Feb 19, 2017
Peoria,IL
I recently finished My first motorbike build! I'm 68 yrs old and have mechanical experience on My side. I thought the kit was easy to assemble, but decided to go with a few modifications, mainly for safety sake. First, I found that the commonly called "rag joint" left a lot to be desired. In My opinion, it is a poor design, and may work, but even properly done, think the spokes will loosen in a fairly short time. I also found the bolts and nuts provided in the kit were poor quality, and stripped out easily. I purchased a cnc sprocket adapter, with a 34 tooth sprocket. It was the wrong sprocket for me, so I had to purchase a 50 tooth, which works well for me. I'm heavy and not that interested in speed. I own a Harley, if I want to go faster. The sprocket adapter saved lots of time and trouble. I also bought a 12 gauge spoke rear wheel, because I had loosened several spokes in My stock Murray wheel, just by trying to install the rag joint. I also had to modify the idler pully, because it would not tighten down enough to stay put. It kept trying to go into the spokes, unsafe in my opinion. Other than those mods, the installation is easy! But I agree "easy" is a relative term!

N2DEEP19

May 17, 2018
Please be sure to give as much info about your bicycle and engine as possible when asking for help. The more we know about it, the better we can help.
"I have a new motor and it made a funny noise and quit" is NOT going to do much but make eyes roll...
DON'T be afraid to ask what seem like dumb questions if you don't know. We were ALL noobs at one point...
DO tell us everything you can about your bike and the problem you are having.
DO search the classic and sticky threads. Almost EVERY possible issue is in there somewhere...
DO try to write clearly and rationally. Pretend your english teacher is reading your posts. SPELL CHECK!
DON'T take everything you see or hear as gospel truth. Get several opinions and choose the one that seems best for your issue.
DON'T get offended if someone posts something different than you. Opinions vary.
DO remember to have fun! These little toys can be a source of endless joy and satisfaction if you approach it with the right frame of mind. They can also drive grown men to throw things through the garage wall in frustration.
I always step back and take a break when things start getting irritating. Coming back at a problem after a nice break gives me fresh ideas.

The resources here from all these incredibly talented people can help you get the most out of your motorized bicycle!
Just dive in and keep smiling!
*hides pile of broken engine parts and tries to look innocent*

Joseph Johnston

Jul 12, 2018
I have a new 2 week old Huffy perfect frame with an 80cc motor..do you think I could make it to Florida from Michigan ?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
depends on how many tools and spare parts you bring with you, and how good a mechanic you are

you might need a follow car to carry all that, or at least a trailer

Hickory Hill

May 13, 2019
Santa Fe
I am considering purchasing a motorizedHuffy 26" men's Cranny Beachcruiser The seller says he purchased it for $500 new and wants to sell it for $100. The only problem is a carburetor problem. He says he doesn't know what is wrong with it and doesn't care to get it fixed. He says it works sometimes and other times doesn't. I haven't seen the bike yet but will this week. I do not know what kind of motor it as on it. Can you give me some advise as to whether I should purchase it or not? Thanks
For a hundo, its worth it just for parts... if it is the carb, that stuff is pretty easy.... ALL the stuff on a MB is relatively easy... ESP with help on this forum...

Gypsybikes

Jul 17, 2022
Ahhh that makes sense.

The motor kits are relatively easy to assemble for a person that has some mechanical knowledge. Though I have ran into some people that are just better off finding someone locally to do the assemble.