throwing the chain

GoldenMotor.com

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I am nuking out the problems with my build. I have just put on a Grubee skyhawk 66cc kit on my Schwinn cruiser bike. I had a problem with it breaking the chain. We discovered that the engine had shifted slightly. So we removed the rubber tape from the rear motor mount, repositioned the engine and tightened everything back down. Now, the chain isnt breaking but its coming off the sprocket to the outside of the sprocket. I can get it started and go about two blocks till it happens. I assume this is an alignment issue between the two sprockets. So is there a chain aligner that I can put on or what?

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
You can use a yardstick. Just lay it along the sprocket and line up the front to back. Make sure your rear sprocket is running true. No wobble. Also check to see if your chain tensioner is running true with the chain.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
The tension-er will only help a small amount. If your sprocket is dished make sure it is dished to the outside, If not flip it. Make sure your wheel is lined up straight, not cocked to the side. And make sure your chain is tight. When the engine is pulling the bottom of the chain will have all the slack. If you are off a little it can let the chain jump off. Not running a tension-er is good, but you have to make sure everything is right.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
now you are talking, the rear sprocket is dished out, My dad and I are going to reset the wheel to make sure its as tight as it can be. I think you are right about the loose ness making the chain jump off. But thats why I thought a spring loaded tensioner could guide it better but also prevent the slack on the fly. Cant hurt can it?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I wanna say, the people of this forum have been extremely friendly and incredibly helpful. not to mention quick with the replys. I like an active community and am glad I found this site. thank you to all!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Search the thread on chain tensioners. Taking the time to get this right is one of the best things you can do to insure trouble free riding!

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I have been looking through it but havent found anything in particular that applies here. Anything come to mind that you are thinking of that hasnt been mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you have to use a tensioner, tack it to the frame or use a bolt or screw to prevent it turning into the spokes.
I don't like spring tensioners on a manual clutch bike because the slack goes to the top of the chainrun whenever you let off the gas and coast. If you have tight and loose spots in the chain, the sprocket is not centered correctly.