need help choosing a tranny

GoldenMotor.com

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Hi,
Im starting my first 4 stroke build and I need to choose a transmission. This is a secondary build so my funds are very limited. (~100$)
Ive been looking at the skyhawk 4g belt drives like this and they look really good for my budget: http://www.gasbike.net/100-Tooth-Belt-Transmission.html
Anyone have experience with these? I remember hearing something about a troublesome bearing? Also I'm not sure if I should go for the 80t or 100t one.
FYI:
I have a 49cc huasheng. I live in san francisco so I have to deal with hills, but not huge huge ones. Id like to be able to go somewhat fast. (35ish) And im 15 and light; 150lbs. Thanks MOTO .shft.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In the past, 4g belt trannies did have trouble with the one way bearing. I have not seen a post from anybody that has tried the new, improved 4g.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
There are 2 Huasheng versions,
5/8" straight shaft and
tapered shaft which has the clutch built into the side of the motor.

Which one do you have?
I have the one with the clutch built into the side of the motor. I think? The clutch is attached to the side of the motor and there is a bell that fits over it and goes to the tranny.

Keeponkeepnon

Mar 11, 2013
California
By reading the archives I have been convinced that the 4G is pretty darn good. Enough so that I just ordered one to replace my gear box. It will be a while before I can give you first hand experience.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
In the past, 4g belt trannies did have trouble with the one way bearing. I have not seen a post from anybody that has tried the new, improved 4g.
I just wanted to say that I bought engine kit from Phantom Bikes, and on every engine they sell, they replace the stock one way bearing with a heavy duty one that has had no troubles so far. My dad's bike still had the stock bearing on it though, and it blew out in a just a few days so we took it over to Phantom Bikes and they replaced it, replaced the carb with a newer one, and aligned/adjusted the chain and sprockets, all out of the good of their hearts.

I asked them about the one way bearing before buying the kit to see what they had to say about reliability, and Sterling told me that they have not had any bikes have a problem with the bearing they use. I am not sure if the 4g tranny they sell is the "new and improved tranny" or they took matters into their own hands and replace the bearings with something they found works better. When you buy a kit from them, they actually include all of the stock parts that they replaced in the box.

Either way I would give them a call and talk it over with John or Sterling. They have the best customer service out of any company I have seen, and am sure they would part out a tranny from one of the engine kits to sell you. At the very least they could send you a bearing to put on a 4g kit you buy from somewhere else. Phantom Bikes is an excellent company that holds many of the great qualities other companies have lost.

Stock bearing they throw in the box:

Heavy Duty bearing they put on all of their bikes:

I hope I have provided you with decent information, ride safely!

-Chris N.

Last edited:

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Mr. Minecraft said:
I just wanted to say that I bought engine kit from Phantom Bikes, and on every engine they sell, they replace the stock one way bearing with a heavy duty one that has had no troubles so far. My dad's bike still had the stock bearing on it though, and it blew out in a just a few days so we took it over to Phantom Bikes and they replaced it, replaced the carb with a newer one, and aligned/adjusted the chain and sprockets, all out of the good of their hearts.

I asked them about the one way bearing before buying the kit to see what they had to say about reliability, and Sterling told me that they have not had any bikes have a problem with the bearing they use. I am not sure if the 4g tranny they sell is the "new and improved tranny" or they took matters into their own hands and replace the bearings with something they found works better. When you buy a kit from them, they actually include all of the stock parts that they replaced in the box.

Either way I would give them a call and talk it over with John or Sterling. They have the best customer service out of any company I have seen, and am sure they would part out a tranny from one of the engine kits to sell you. At the very least they could send you a bearing to put on a 4g kit you buy from somewhere else. Phantom Bikes is an excellent company that holds many of the great qualities other companies have lost.

Stock bearing they throw in the box:

Heavy Duty bearing they put on all of their bikes:

I hope I have provided you with decent information, ride safely!

-Chris N.
Thanks minecraft! Awesome post ill call them up.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's not a one way bearing and what new and improved version? The one that came out in 2011 that everyones been buying for 2 years? The bearing is in the belt pulley,not the chain sprocket.

Learn how to use the search box on the top of your screen. It will save you some time.