Get 4-stroke Stage 3 Cent Clutch off?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I won't go into the plethora of screw-ups this rookie builder made on this direct drive 49cc build before he brought it to me to re-build but I am stuck on the last of his screw ups and could use some advice to get this nightmare out of the shop!

I certainly don't know why but can't even see how he managed to put a key between the bell housing of the cent clutch and motor shaft but I can't get to the back off it to pry it loose without risking the motor case and I can't grab it with anything so the cent clutch bell actually freewheels and not fixed to the shaft.

Heat seems like an option but I don't want to risk the motor seals and the key is wedged in there sideways pretty good.
Is trying to drill it out the only option?

I won't go into everything else he did back-ass backwards but it will eventually serve as an example of how to everything wrong trying to improve with no concept of basic mechanical function.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Drill out the key maybe your best option.

Jay bolts in the holes of the bell housing with a steering wheel puller?

Molly or toogle bolts into the bell housing holes with a steering wheel puller?

A 3 jaw puller? Maybe drill large holes in the side of bell housing to get the arms of the puller to grab onto something. The clutch might not be in the way.

Drill and tap into the gear and use a steering wheel type puller.

Self tapping machine screws into the bell housing with steering wheel puller?

It is not going to damage drilling into the face of the bell housing, but into the side is a different story.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This is a 2 year old topic and I replaced the bushing on that build and it's back again, but this time the bell wasn't fused to the bushing, the bushing was out to the point of trashing all the bell's gear teeth so I replaced the bushing and geared bell, how long it will last is anyone's and I told the customer so.

Then the next day I got another 4-stroke Stage III build I didn't install but 'made the bike go' that has failed in the same way, busing fail that took out the bell gears, check this short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwx_NxkWoDg&feature=youtu.be

So I bought a 4G belt system to replace the Stage III with but look at this mess...

No way that clutch part is staying on but it would fit anyway, the 4G has a 3" diameter bell and that is bigger but worse yet my caliper says the motor bolt holes are slightly smaller on the 4G than the HS motor.

The question is what the **** to do?
Send the 4G back and use a different drive?