New Caviness Motorbike Build

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so my current build is more like a board track style bike than a cruiser really but I had the thread over in the Cruiser section. Now I'm working on rebuilding it with a bit more authentic look including one of Sportsman's (Pat's) tanks. Here's a pic of the frame as it is prior to shipping to me. In the mean-time I'm in the process of taking my current build apart and stripping some of the paint off of some of the pieces that I want to repaint/refinish.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I've made a little progress. Cleaned up my engine a bit and used some high temp. ceramic paint from VHT. I started stripping the paint from the new frame today. The worksman stickers on the top tube are a pain to get off.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
How's the engine fit in that Worksman frame with that big CRMachine Hi Comp Head ? I am running a PK69.5/80cc engine in my Sportsman Flyer and doesn't look like it will fit.
The engine Sure does look good!!

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
So far it looks like it will be a-ok. I cut down the rear engine mount to get the engine lower in the frame and also I have the wide crank and small sprocket set from Sportsman Flyer (aka Pat) so the crank and chain should clear the engine just fine. That should leave a good amount of space at the top for removal of the spark plug though I might have to modify a socket. Otherwise, it will fill up the space nicely! Right now I'm in the process of priming the frame, tank, and tool box. Then I have to remove paint from my wheels and repaint the rims. Also, I have a set of Monark springers on the way from Venice Motor Bikes (aka Norm).

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Forrest, I'm taking most of the parts from the AMF frame and transferring them over. I don't believe I'll be using fenders or the rear rack. At some point I'll probably sell the AMF frame with tank and springer forks. A 2-stroke engine fits really well in the AMF frame.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Frame and Tank. I worked on the wheels last night and removed the black paint from them to get down to the chrome. Gonna paint the rims but leave the spokes and hubs chrome.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Update with pic. I'm almost ready to rebuild. Tracking shows the forks will be here Monday then I will get to work on repainting them to match the bike. All the paint on the bike needs time and heat to cure. It's only about 50 deg. here and rainy :(

Not sure if I'm going to go with the cream tires or the black ones. Decisions, decisions....

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks for the offer azbill, I'm gonna hold on to them for now. I might put them on the bike after I get some good pics of the new build with the cream tires. However, if you are interested you can order them from here:

http://classic-cycle.de/en/All/Ball....html?listtype=search&searchparam=continental

In the mean-time I got my Monark forks from Norm (VeniceMotorBikes.com) yesterday and they look great! Thanks Norm!

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
A couple of update photos. I'm not sure I'm happy with the seat that I have to use on the build. I'm thinking I might need to go with the Brooks B67 instead of my B135. Also, I might end up using my black tires instead of the cream ones.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Wow, that cleaned up nice! Couple thoughts. Your exhaust pipe flange will need to be cut and reangled to fit better. I have some ported flanges laying around if you need one. I always liked the Grubee expansion pipe. Best way I found to mount a two stroke in a Worksman or Schwinn is use the front mount as is and then stack two rear mounts. It's a bolt-in like that. The front mount angle will be a little off but not bad. As for your seat that looks pretty cool to me!

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks Pat, I'll let you know on the exhaust mount. I should be mounting the engine sometime this weekend. In the mean-time I've changed the tires out to the black moped ones. I think it just looks a bit better with the black ones.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so I've only got a few little things left. I'll be working on the electrical, fuel line, and chain tensioner (had to order a short bracket style tensioner) tomorrow or this weekend. I hope to be able to ride it a bit over the weekend but we'll see how that goes as the wife will be traveling and I'll be solo with the kids. Later on I'll be adding on a short rear fender and changing up the seat a bit. I'm leaning toward a Brooks B66, B67 or Flyer at the moment.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks guys. I got the electrical and gas line ran today and was able to take it for a quick ride. The engine started right off and everything was much tighter on the build compared to my previous. No rattling etc... I do need to get a different seat as this one sits up too high and need to change out to my previous stem. Right now it just doesn't "feel" right. A few tweaks and I should be good to go.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Took the bike out for another quick ride. The high temp. paint on the engine and muffler should be set/cured now. I'll ride more once I get more time and another seat version.

Attachments