Winter project

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 31, 2013
RI
sweet lookin' ride man! it looks like it really screams!

peace, bozo

btw, how much attention do you get from RI law enforcement? ...do you get pulled over much?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Just a quick update. I discovered my throttle linkage was only allowing for 3/4 throttle. I also rejetted the carb, and made a more free flowing exhaust.
This made a big difference in the grin factor. I had never gotten much over 5400 rpm 35mph out of the bike. But today I had to back out of it at 6500 rpm 42mph when I herd the valves start to float .

I also just picked up a 99 Whizzer front fork. I just need to fab some clip-ons to fit them, then i'll get some update pics.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
...yeah, thanks for your answer to my direct question.
Sorry Bozo Hadn't rely looked at this thread in a while .
The truth is, all gas powered bikes are illegal in RI.
I try to avoid all main roads and whenever I encounter traffic I keep to the extreme shoulder and slow to let cars past.
In my experience I have never had a problem with the police.
but keep in mind I am also older. If it was someone younger they might have an issue with some police. If you ride respectfully you should not have issues.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Just thought I would post some updated pix of my 79cc build.
I added some 99 Whizzer forks, and painted the chain guard.
I made a more free flowing exhaust and rejetted the carb.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I just came across a post the other day. It mentioned you can run a 2 stroke NT carb or RT style carb on the HF engines using the China girl intake. So I tried it out today.
First up was the NT. It fired first pull, but was running rich. I didn't have any jets for the NT,so onto the RT. It runs great with a 85 jet, and I can now idle at 1400 rpm instead of 1800.

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
slowbalt,
Did you have to modify the HT intake manifold for use on the HF engine?

Also, what kind of throttle controls are you using on the handlebars?

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
slowbalt,
Did you have to modify the HT intake manifold for use on the HF engine?

Also, what kind of throttle controls are you using on the handlebars?
To fit the intake I had to widen the mounting holes.
I was using a mini bike throttle, but the NT and RT cables don't fit the threads. So now I'm using a 2 stroke kit throttle.

If you have a 2 stroke kit all you need to do is rejet the NT carb and you have the full setup to run a Predator.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I forgot to mention. I mounted the intake upside down incase the float stuck. The carb now sits lower than the intake, so if float sticks when not running. It will drain out the filter instead of into the engine.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Update. I found out that I did have jets to fit the NT style carb. It is actually the Speed carb. It's just like the NT but with a fuel cutout built in. I actually needed to go bigger on the jet, not smaller like I had originally thought. I started with a 70 jet and ended up running an 85 jet. It was fuel starved with the 70. It idled nice but would die with very little throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEtCbhCMZ4

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Update. I found out that I did have jets to fit the NT style carb. It is actually the Speed carb. It's just like the NT but with a fuel cutout built in. I actually needed to go bigger on the jet, not smaller like I had originally thought. I started with a 70 jet and ended up running an 85 jet. It was fuel starved with the 70. It idled nice but would die with very little throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEtCbhCMZ4
What is your elevation there? Where do you get the jets. I haven't run a China girl carb in a good while now. This is like starting over. I have one of the older NT carbs and figured I'd leave it be with the unused engine it came with and pick up a speed II version of the NT

My elevation is 1,427 feet, so I'm looking for a good starting point in a jet size.

Question: Today I removed the stock carb on the 99 Predator engine and filed out the intake manifold mount holes a bit. I'm guessing that you also had to use shorter mounting studs, is that right?
SB

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I got the jets from Ebay. The speed carb takes 5mm jets. The Rt I have takes 6 mm jets. I'm at sea level. I filed the mounting holes open then used 1/2 " bolts to hold it on.on.