Black Oil Coming from Exhuast and white smoke....

GoldenMotor.com
tried to ride my bike today... and TA DA! MORE PROBLEMS WOO HOO! the engine wanted to start but it sputtered and died, i tried to adjust the carb but when i screw it all the way in the throttle gets stuck, also it was literally pissin oil all over the street it was coming out of where you bolt on the exhaust, the oil was black if that helps....white smoke came out too. here are some pics....

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Was the white smoke like an old time war film where they had to make smoke to hide from a battleship? If it was, it sounds very like you have some sort of non 2 stroke oil in your mix to me. But then I have, just very occasionally, been known to be wrong.

Was the white smoke like an old time war film where they had to make smoke to hide from a battleship? If it was, it sounds very like you have some sort of non 2 stroke oil in your mix to me. But then I have, just very occasionally, been known to be wrong.
yup exactly like that, come to think of it i only had gasoline from my outboard motor's gas tank, bad idea to use that stuff but i have no cash for gas....oh how i love my life....:-||

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My inclination is to drain and replace with known good quality premix, if the smoke had been blue, I'd have suspected a broken ring instead.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Aahhh...Not a proper gasket, are you running a high proportion of oil to fuel? If the ratio is too rich the exhaust will be very oily, and if you don't have a proper and well fitting gasket, that might be the problem, partly burnt oil leaking round the exhaust/barrel joint.

I recommend fresh and correct premix and a new gasket. That will eliminate 2 sources of the gunge. If the problem persists, we'll them do communal head scratching and try something else.

Aahhh...Not a proper gasket, are you running a high proportion of oil to fuel? If the ratio is too rich the exhaust will be very oily, and if you don't have a proper and well fitting gasket, that might be the problem, partly burnt oil leaking round the exhaust/barrel joint.

I recommend fresh and correct premix and a new gasket. That will eliminate 2 sources of the gunge. If the problem persists, we'll them do communal head scratching and try something else.
yes, i was using my boat gas which is 50 to 1, its all i had at the time and i had no cash to buy new fuel(my life is ****ty) im hopefully going to get more gas today.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
50 to 1 is actually fairly lean, but if the carb is jetted rich that might explain some of it. Certainly there needs to be a proper well sealed gasket in place though.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Good question. What is in there now, some sort of card? Forum members with experience of your engine are the best source of knowledge about what can be used in place of the normal gasket in an emergency, since we don't get those engines over here.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd go along with the others, drain your tank and start off again as soon as you can.

Cutting your makeshift gasket to a closer size will also help, I'd think.

There are a few options for making gaskets. You used to be able to get a mixed pack of materials from Canadian Tire (4 - 6"x8" sheets, cork, rubber, etc).

I haven't tried it, but I've been told cardboard (like cereal box board) can make a quick one, or thin almunimum sheet-stock can be used (pop-can might be too thin as a single layer). Just blue-skying, thinking out loud, but you might be able to make something useful by layering aluminum/boxboard/aluminum. I don't know how it would hold with the heat of the engine over time though.

Be careful if you try it, the pop/beer can will slice your hands to ribbons if given the opportunity.

my hands are already ribbons another scar would not matter to me LOL, well i cut the gasket thingy i had on there already and made it work until i go into the city for a parts run at a store in hamilton that sells bicycle engine parts( pretty cheap too compared to online sites and i dont have to pay outrageous shipping costs!) i took the bike out for a quick rip but when i give it more throttle it dies out i let off throttle it roars back to life again, I tried adjusting the carb but when i screw it all the way in the throttle gets stuck and comes unstuck when i unscrew the idle adjustment screw what the heck??

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I give my bike blood as often as it demands it of me. ;)

Sounds like you're flooding it at high throttle. Consider dropping the pin (raising the c-clip a notch) on your needle to run leaner. I know with my bike there's not much point in cranking it to WOT from 10-20 kph, it'll get to top speed (68 kmh) faster if I go more slowly but steadily on the throttle, letting the engine 'catch up' to the feed instead of dumping fuel down it's throat.

Sounds like you're flooding it at high throttle. Consider dropping the pin (raising the c-clip a notch) on your needle to run leaner. I know with my bike there's not much point in cranking it to WOT from 10-20 kph, it'll get to top speed (68 kmh) faster if I go more slowly but steadily on the throttle, letting the engine 'catch up' to the feed instead of dumping fuel down it's throat.
ive always wondered this what does WOT mean? lmao and thanks for the tip ill give that a try. bike demon

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
that screw you were adjusting is the stop for the throttle slide.the slide needs to be raised ,screw adjusted and then lowered using the twist grip.it only controls the idle speed.
i would say mixed boat gas is usually 40:1,so i cant see a problem with that.
any chance it was sitting with the gas tank valve open?
from all that stuff slobbering out of the exhaust i would say its severely flooded.
maybe old boat gas?
notorious for having water in the bottom of the boat fuel tank....
another thing,i would drop the float bowl and check to make sure the jet is still threaded into its place.

Last edited: