fuel pick up prob

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I ran into a vacuum fuel pump on an ATV the other day ''gocart'' tank above the carby which was weird to me lol. I needed to clean out the carb. Was surprised to see that the fuel did not drip at all when I unplugged the line to the carb. Crank the motor over and it would come a pouring.. Had a 50cc Baja moped same thing. Tank was above the carby.

That Baja ran lousy until I finally rejetted it. Thought I had done something wrong with the carb for a few? Customer said it was serviced a year ago and they just let it set. Sure....

Hey I am not being picky its just what the Chinese put on them. Have been impressed with those two systems I came across. The thought that came to my mind was automatic petcock? Which is how they were acting!

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It could very well have been a vacuum petcock?
The Honda Aero I got for free has one, and the fuel tank is above the carburetor; However it does thread into the bottom of the fuel tank just like a regular petcock.
Vacuum petcocks do come in a universal style which can be installed almost anywhere though, just like a vacuum powered fuel pump.
The universal petcocks have 3 hoses too.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
good luck finding an electric fuel pump with low pressure,1 psi or less.i doubt you will find one.next option is a fuel pressure regulator,also would be difficult to find one that would dial down low enough.
the vacum operated pump would be the cheapest,most dependable,easiest to install and economical(consumer friendly).
snowmobile single carburetor or briggs and stratton both have fuel pumps available
http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=595DD6C396FA
what more would you want for 24.00?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I was gonna say that too electric fuel pumps have to much psi...I was looking for a pump one time for a garden tractor. Put a vacuum pump right back in it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
good luck finding an electric fuel pump with low pressure,1 psi or less.i doubt you will find one.next option is a fuel pressure regulator,also would be difficult to find one that would dial down low enough.
the vacum operated pump would be the cheapest,most dependable,easiest to install and economical(consumer friendly).
snowmobile single carburetor or briggs and stratton both have fuel pumps available
http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=595DD6C396FA
what more would you want for 24.00?
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=82
It's a bit spendy but 1psi. I'm just sayin... LOL
zpt

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong? i think 1 psi may vary well be too much in some applications? In the case of our H.T. motors prolly have a overflowing float bowl..??

The n.t. carby I know from personal experience the float/needle is pretty darn finicky

To me it was under engineered? I mean is.... mebbe the float could have been bigger for more buoyancy? I had a couple drive me batty until I gently arched the tabs to let the float naturally recenter itself during its travel up and down in the float bowl cavity.

It would still overflow every once in a while. Used that petcock lol.

My Morini engine with the PHBG Dellorto never gave me any guff I ran it for a year with no petcock on the bike just a straight hose from the fuel tank gravity fed. Same with my Dell'Orto SHA 14/12 it never leaked ether.

With a good designed carb I would venture to say this one PSI will be forgiving.

Last edited: