Clutch Problems! Need some Help

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Ok, you have a key under the sprocket and a key under the inner half of the pressure plate. It sounds like one is sheared.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Remove the clutch assembly and tap it out to the left, member Al fisherman says it works. No need to remove the chain sprocket. I don't remember the thread but have seen it.

mikel2223

Aug 16, 2012
Canada
Sorry im frenchies but hunderstand english

I will like to know wazzup with my clutch cover the inside of my clutch cover his grind by the plate im a f**king noob my uncle is repearing my bike but im not sure he know waht is doiing ! At several time he did adjusting the wire of the clutch with the little screw i have picture of the cover but don't know how to post the picture. sorry if i'm at the wrong pace to post these question

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It is sadly common for the clutch to rub the inside of the clutch cover. While some engines do not do it at all, some do it horribly bad.
The typical cure is to use 2 cover gaskets to space the cover further away from the clutch.

As for posting pictures, read this:
How To Post Pictures

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Sounds to me like the OP has sheered the woodruff key in the motor sprocket, the chain and sprocket would turn but not the clutch shaft or the clutch. Could have also sheered the key on the other side where big clutch wheel is attached to the clutch shaft, but I would look at the sprocket key first.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
It did taht and we always have to set the clutch is slipping (wire+screw)
Huh?

With all woodruff keys in place the motor sprocket, clutch shaft and (gear side) clutch base should be one rigid unit, meaning they all turn together. The pressure plate will also rotate with this unit due to the three studs that poke through the holes on the pressure plate. The large (internal) spring around the clutch shaft pulls inward on the rod that the flower nut is attached to, this pulls the pressure plate inward squeezing the clutch pads between the clutch base and pressure plate.
Check out this excellent thread posted by Norman showing the clutch shaft taken apart to get a better grip on what is happening there... (pun intended)
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=8392

...with all woodruff keys in place the motor sprocket, clutch shaft, clutch plate and pressure plate should all rotate together as one unit, the large bevel gear will only rotate when the pressure plate is squeezing the clutch pads.

You adjust the pressure exerted on the pads by turning the flower nut. Pull in and lock the handlebar clutch lever, you should see the pressure plate move outward and release pressure on the pads. Remove the screw that locks the flower nut and then tighten the flower nut to increase the grip of the clutch, loosen flower nut to reduce the grip. (When the clutch lever is locked in the flower nut should turn easily) It's a pretty simple task to adjust the flower nut so the pressure plates squeeze the pads tightly when released, and loosens completely when you lock in the handlebar clutch lever in....

Last edited: