Felt SurfCity vs. Columbia SuperCyclone

GoldenMotor.com

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Ok guys, this noob has been on the bike hunt locally. I came across this [previously] unknown beauty for a deal...

IMG_20120706_142023 (1024x768).jpg

But, I stumbled upon the high-priced love-of-my-life...

IMG_20120706_153537 (1024x768).jpg

So, the dilemma quickly arose...
Do I really want to fork up the major $$ and skip to the quick and easy...? Or, Would I rather start from the ground up like a good noobie should and dig in?

And I have chosen: Door #1.. The 1960s Cyclone. I pick it up in the morning. Excited doesn't even cover it. Frame shopping has been like a rites of passage.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Got the older bike, congrats!! do a frame up on it, you'll get what you want and get a lot of heads to turn as well, but do try to give a little older look to it

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If your talking about the tank on Ol' Blue in my avitar pic, I got it from Sportsman Flyer, although pat does'nt have a pic of it in his catalog I'm sure he'll make one for ya and Vinice Motor Bikes sells them too!(made by Pat at Sportsman Flyer) if my tank isn't what you are referring to then be a little more specific as to what you saw and whom, alot of guy's make their own tanks and or get them at a local lawn mower shop and modify them for their builds, you can even make them out of a larger pork n beans can or spegetti sauce can too, there is a thread about making them and you'll have to go this forums info center on that but from what I can remember it's under the "How to"or "what did you do to your bike today?"
If you are going to do the space theme then I'd get aluminum waters and attach them to the rack ,it would look like jet packs or fuel moduals just like the George Jetson era back in the day COOL!

Last edited:

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
great guys. thanks ive got a metallic charcoal on the body and oil rubbed bronze on the fork tube. i'd like to do the rear basket and fenders in the bronze also.. gotta figure out that whole painting over chrome deal.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Give the chrome a light sanding with light graded sand paper so you don't leave scratches that show through the paint

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That should work!!, if you are using the Hammered textured paint ?? experiment on something first!! it has to be applied heavey in order for the chemicals to work, one thing with fenders is you have to spin the fender a little while painting, it keeps the paint from running, tie a washer to a string,run it through the fender mount hole and paint under side last, but like I said experiment, that is if you are using the hammered texture?
Another thing I did was to paint the bottom of the fender a different color WAY COOL!!

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Truckd -
What's a "frame up"? No not using a hammered textured paint. Thanks for that spinning tip. I've been doin good then doin bad and starting over with this paint job. Spin it even if not using the hammered texture? I'll post pics here today.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Looks like a typical American bike from that era, very late 1950’s to late 60’s. Usually referred to as a “middleweight” because of the then newly popular smaller 26” X 1.75” sized tires.

Not really sought after by serious collectors which gives you some freedom of criticism if you decided to chop or modified the frame.

Closer inspection of your photo shows that the headlight bezel is there but it actually may be missing the lens covers:confused:

The members at this forum could certainly tell you much more specific info about it than I!

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/content.php

It might be worth it just in case it does happen to be some unusual rare variant from the era...

-Kirk

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Frame Up means when you disassemble the bike and start from the frame up often refered in the automotive ind as a complete restore.
I wouldn't spin if your not using a hammered finished paint but do hang it from something (hands free) light coats until completely covered in paint then final coat, keep the can about 4-6" away from the surface you are painting and don't get over anctious, after the paint has dried & cured for a least a couple of days then do a wet sand to remove any blemishes and smooth the out then wax the paint with a non abrasive wax which will also help the painted surface to harden