Do I need a new clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
Over time I've had to adjust the clutch on my HT further back to the pivot point. But now the cable is right up against the pivot point and the drag when trying to pedal is absolutely ridiculous. Is there something I can do about it or do I have to buy a clutch?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Didja try re clocking the the clutch arm. This is a china two stroke? The clutch actuator arm that the clutch cable fastens too, on the two strokes sit on splines and can be custom positioned.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The clutch actuator arm has splines inside if it that match the other mating side it is bolted to. These splines can be realigned upon putting the arm back on. ''Splines''

However since I lost you on what that means . Take some time and read more on the subject. Everything has been covered here before thoroughly on this forum and in great detail. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...gsc.q=clutch adjustment presedures&gsc.page=1

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get a good tool that fits the screws snug. Then take a hammer to the back of the tool and give it a tap first before trying to unscrew the fasteners.. This shocks the threads and make the fastener come loose much easier in a case where the fasteners just will not budge.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually you don't need to remove the cover to re-index the clutch actuator arm.
Loosen the acorn nut holding the arm on the shaft and unscrew it a couple of turns then wedge a screwdriver under the arm, between the cover and the arm, then tap the acorn nut with a hammer. The arm should pop off.

I think your cable is just stretching. But this also brings up the question, did it ever disengage or has the clutch been stuck from day one? I don't know what you mean when you refer to "the pivot point". What do you mean by that?

Tom

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
I actually got it open with a hammer and paint scraper. I was able to get it right thanks to the link that Goat Herder posted. Yesterday was a fun ride. By "Pivot point" I mean the point where the cable is ran through the metal piece.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Also check your bucking bar, The pin that's in the counter shaft on the sprocket side . over time and if not lubed regularly will concave on the ball end . If it does that you will end up with play in your clutch as well.