Having some issues

GoldenMotor.com

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
I bought this motor kit probably 2 years ago and never got around to finishing it. Today I finished it up but its not working properly looking for a little insight. The clutch is not functioning at all the motor is always engaged. Also I tried tried to start it with no success, I have great spark and i even dropped a bit of fuel in with the plug and it didn't kick over. Any help someone can give me with trouble shooting my clutch problems and or my no start was planning to take a look at the carb tomorrow.

GSX

Jun 15, 2012
Ray Brook
clean the carb, take apart the clutch assembly and clean/lube it. If all else fails, take 2 shots of Jack and report back in the morning

Kickstart70

Jul 16, 2011
Quesnel, BC, Canada
Hopefully I can help a little, though I have nowhere near the experience of the others here.

If this is a Skyhawk or related engine, the clutch is a beast to engage, and you really have to adjust the heck out of it to get it to pull tight enough. Try manually pushing it in and rolling to see if it releases.

On the carb, if it's the white fitting with the gap in it, it can (and does) leak air in and make it very difficult to start. Make sure you have an O-ring on the engine side. If you have to buy one, make sure it's for an engine so it can stand up to heat and gas. You don't want it to degrade and go inside the engine.

Is there a serial number on a sticker on the carb? Does it contain "CNS66"? In my opinion, that's a piece of junk, but others have had success, so your mileage will vary.

If possible, post a pic of the engine so we can help you more.

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
going to head down the road now to take a pic of the motor carb etc but yeah i already manually moved the clutch lever about as far as it would let em and the motor was still turning over while i moved the bike

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
While i was down there i took that cover off the clutch and i moved the clutch lever and saw no changes but manually there was movement so obviously i need to tighten the cable but still I moved it manually and it didn't work what would be the first step in dealing with the clutch as that will make this much easier to try to start.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And get rid of the small spring on the cable. It serves no purpose except to make the clutch harder to pull. It's a mystery why they put that thing in the kits to begin with. The larger, 1/2" diameter spring is a heat shield. Keep it but discard the small one.

Is there a gasket between the intake manifold and the cylinder? I don't see evidence of one in your photos. There should be one there.

Tom

NoLicen0

Jul 1, 2012
Byron Bay
Does the clutch engage when you just push the lever on the engine ? I got all this fuel in mine (perhaps similar to corrosion) a few times, it stays disengaged until i roll down a big hill and eventually it start to work.

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
yeah there is a gasket there it is just painted silver guess this company assembles everything then paints it instead of painting each part then assembling.

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
also how much twist should i have on my throttle grip mine doesn't have much at all is my throttle possibly bound up in the carb from sitting this motor is brad new never run i just bought the kit and never finished the project due to lack of tools at my apartment and time and such.

Valicswarrior

Jul 1, 2012
CT
got it running clutch was stuck fixed that slide in the carb was stuck got that moving and also located a primer that i didn't know the bike had lol this thing is really fun on a side note what are people doing for brake or do i just have crappy brakes i find that they don't last very long without needing to be adjusted

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on your repairs!
I use direct pull rim brakes at the moment, both front and rear.
Use Kool Stop Salmon pads for the best results.
In the (hopefully) near future I will be installing a suspension front fork with a disc brake.
Disc brakes work awesome, unless you prefer the look of a Sturmy Archer drum brake which work very well too.