First build...

GoldenMotor.com

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
So I have been infatuated with motorized bicycles for quite some time now. My father was a harley owner through my childhood and at a very young age I found myself disagreeing with him about what bike looked best. I was always fond of the early harleys and indians and he was all about the fat boys. This build is my tribute to those good times and hopefully I'll be able to drag the old man out to help me put it together.
As far as parts, I have been collecting old tank bikes for a bit and was initially planning on using my 50 schwinn straight bar. Then I decided that I didn't want to hack it up so I got a 1947(or therabout) Murray mercury. Come to find out that the Mercury is an EXTREMELY rare bike(hardly any info on the internet ). I managed to eagle eye the original forks so that one isn't getting molested either. Then I got a Monark super deluxe and low and behold, my wife became fond of it(who would have guessed). It was probably a good thing though as the motor that I ended up getting will need a custom frame that is a bit more beefy, and I plan on not having pedals( :O ).After doing a ton of research on frames/builders ironically I came across the same builder that built the frame that my engine was pictured in. And so I plan on having Dan Orabona from Taylar bikes build the custom frame for it(super nice guy btw).
Engine Villiers 147cc (1924?)
Gearbox Albion 3 speed
Wheels Worksman with Puch moped hubs/brakes
Many other things that need to be aquired still...

I know that many of you will say(or feel) that this thread is useless without pics, but I still have to wait a week or more for the gearbox and the Puch hubs so I'll post part pics then(not to mention the frame which takes a while to build). Also, I don't plan on rushing this build so this could take a bit.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
You wiill love Dan's ( Taylar's ) work. Absolutly top notch. I have a worksman frame heavly modified by him. You might want to have the motor and trans shipped to him to make sure what he builds, fits what you have.

bass

Apr 7, 2012
eugene
Definately the first thing I asked, ironically this motor has already been at his shop and he is familiar with the albion gearbox which is a huge plus. He was also very helpful in directing me to the proper hubs as well as identifying that my Murray had Worksman rims on it(what are the odds?)!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You picked the right man for the job! here is a picture of Dans Proto Type it is #01 and to get a glimps of it today just turn back the page to the thread titled "Blood Thursty" to see the top quality work you will get, I've seen you're engine several times at Dans and it is a beauty and would properly fit in his work, Dan is partial to that engine and would really do a good job on it to show case it for you

Attachments

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hope you have great fun building and riding your first MB... Though you might want to re-think the "no pedals" design. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but in most states having pedals and not having pedals makes a difference in which legal category the bike fits in, you may run up against some gray area (or extra red tape and expense) with the law if your build doesn't have pedals. I would read the laws in your state closely before you build, cause after all, you do want to ride the thing without being harassed when your done building it....