stop motion

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I haven't been around in a while, & by coincidence the day I came back was also the day Rustycase sent me a message. He was asking about my stop-motion animation studio, which is what's been keeping me away from my bike & the boards.

I haven't actually gotten to use my studio yet. It's slowly coming together.....as it turns out, I'm a pretty crappy carpenter. But I'm always working on animation in one form or another, so I'm glad to help if anyone has any questions about this stuff. So that's what this thread is: a place for animation Q & A.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are we talking about the kind of animation that Ray Harryhausen was famous for? Not sure about the spelling of his last name. :)

The skeleton fight scene in 'Jason and the Argonauts' comes to mind. Plus lots more classics.

Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

It would be GREAT fun to see a motorized bicycle video short! lol

I rarely make it through an entire full length film anymore, so short ones are btr!

Best
rc

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
yep, Harryhausen is a legend, & that skeleton fight is classic. I'd say he's as responsible for my love of animation as anybody else is (with Chuck Jones & Tex Avery being high on the list).
The Wallace & Grommit series is a really exceptional example of what's possible nowadays with model animation. I'd love to have a crew that large & talented at my disposal. I think i just picked up a couple of apprentices, though, so we'll see what I can do with that....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To be honest I didn't know anyone was still doing stop action anymore. I assumed that CGI has made the intensive labor needed for stop action cost prohibitive. I'm glad to see there are still real talents out there doing 'real' animation and not just sitting in front of a computer. Good for you and best of luck.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

I'm getting burned out on CGI !
Actually get a kick out of the old flicks shot in the SFV on the hand built sets...

The discount vid store had some Flash Gordon and Crash Corrigan films put on dvd.
Sparks shooting out of a model rocket swung on a string, and the same sparks coming out the stern of a submarine 10,000ft deep! lol
Odd how the Kingdom under the sea looks just like Vasquez rocks in the SFV !
With charioteers! lol drawn by 4 horses!!!

Fun stuff!
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Special Effects in movies has always fascinated me. I'll watch a movie with some good effects and be more interested in them than the plot of the movie. "How'd they do that?"

The old HBO used to have a series called "Behind the Scenes" and they focused on the effects and how they were done. Very interesting stuff.
I've also been fascinated with miniatures. Building sets, copies of a city street or vehicles and other things. The P-51 Mustangs used in the Spielburg movie, 'Empire of the Sun' great work with radio control planes with ten foot wingspans blended with shots of full size Mustangs. And on and on.

Just think how boring movies would be without FX.

Tom