DIY vintage stroller/pram

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im expecting my first child in April, and i plan on attending Greazefest (big hotrod/ratrod show)near the end of the year. I will be showing my Villiers bike there and any other bikes i have ready.

My girlfriend will be coming and we may dress up in vintage gear (a lot of people do) and i though it would be cool to make a vintage pram as they cost an absolute fortune to buy. I figure if i can make a half decent one i wont have any trouble selling it when i no longer need it.

Heres some examples of what i mean

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=h...5&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=v...1&tbnw=164&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=v...tbnw=165&start=22&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:22

I have the catcher from the Villiers mower that i think i can use for the upper carriage section, i just need to lengthen it and close up one end, shouldnt be too hard, I have 2 x 20" wheels and 2 x 26 wheels that i can donate to this project.

The only thing im not too shore about is the spring part under the carriage. If i make it out of mild steel it wont hold its shape will it? Can i heat treat it for strength or do you guys have any other ideas how to make that section or is it a lot more difficult then i think, if so i could make that section out of tubing but it wouldnt "spring" though, not sure that would matter.

Heres the catcher that i plan to convert to the carriage section, recycling is so much more satisfying then just buying one anyway

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
That is great. Any mower parts like that in your area? I wonder if you took regular strips of steel and and bent them like the springs on the old prams but layered two or three like a car spring to see if that would work.
I'd lay them up flat and then put a clamp on the end and try to see if you have any spring to it and then bend them if it does. My other idea is to do that and if it doesn't spring I would bend them anyway and suspend the pram body from the fake spring ends with coil springs.

My brothers and my old pram was made with chromed steel tubing bent like the springs on the earlier prams but the body was suspended from coil springs hanging from the tubing ends.

Steve.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

That's a wild stroller... if the handlebars steered the front wheel...

There was a dude around who built a wooden truck body over a tractor frame... I can't seem to find it. I'll keep searching, but that might take longer than a month to build. (if someone knows that thread/link, plz post).

50's Tudor stroller anyone? :p

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia

That's a wild stroller... if the handlebars steered the front wheel...

There was a dude around who built a wooden truck body over a tractor frame... I can't seem to find it. I'll keep searching, but that might take longer than a month to build. (if someone knows that thread/link, plz post).

50's Tudor stroller anyone? :p
I dont have to have this pram/stroller ready for my daughters arrival in a months time, we will be buying a regular pram for day to day use. I just thought it would be cool to have a vintage stroller for "Greazefest" which is in either August or September and maybe a few more shows , so it wont be used reguarly, probably only a handful of times. Then i would try and sell it when im done, thats the plan anyway, i dont like selling my projects usually but this pram will take up the space of 2 bikes so id rather the 2 bikes LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry,
That is great. Any mower parts like that in your area? I wonder if you took regular strips of steel and and bent them like the springs on the old prams but layered two or three like a car spring to see if that would work.
I'd lay them up flat and then put a clamp on the end and try to see if you have any spring to it and then bend them if it does. My other idea is to do that and if it doesn't spring I would bend them anyway and suspend the pram body from the fake spring ends with coil springs.

My brothers and my old pram was made with chromed steel tubing bent like the springs on the earlier prams but the body was suspended from coil springs hanging from the tubing ends.

Steve.
Any mower parts like that in my area???? What parts do you mean? The leaf springs?

I can get free steel form work (around 50mm wide by 3mm thick in very long lengths, brand new steel only used to pack a felt) so i could try stacking them like car springs, i actually thought of that idea but not sure it would hold the "U" shape required for under the carriage. I guess i can try and see.

Failing that i think i could try your idea, using small diameter tubing bent into the "U" shape and hand coil springs to suspend the carriage. I bought a pipe bender and should have it in a couple of days so i can now do the bending no problem.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I meant the sheet metal parts that were used in the pram in the photo.

If you can get steel like that and bend it and attach coil springs on the end of the springs to the body of the pram that would work as well.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I meant the sheet metal parts that were used in the pram in the photo.

If you can get steel like that and bend it and attach coil springs on the end of the springs to the body of the pram that would work as well.

Steve.
Im a little confused here Fasteddy, do you mean the catcher part in my photo of my Villiers mower, that IS MY catcher. I plan on stretching it and closing up one end with sheet metal that i already have, that should be similar to the carriages in the vintage photos, thats what i meant in my original post,.... or do you mean i should find another catcher the same and weld them back to back, that would be cool, but i havent seen a complete mower close by at a reasonable price for a little while. But i will keep my eye out.

And yeah i think i will try the steel from work for the undercarriage leaf spring section and see how sturdy it is and go from there. If it isnt ill look at strengthening it with bracing or extra leaves and add coil springs to hang the carriage if needed. Thanks for the help

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
the stroller looks similar to a David-Bradley garden tractor, and some boat trailer fenders.

the problem you're gonna run into, Harry, is the mower side-plates and other components are gonna be real heavy... basically, it was a good mower, and made to last!

Yet if it's only for limited use on fun basis, perhaps that won't be too much problem.

A google image search for 'steam punk baby stroller' brought a few ideas.

This pic shows the undercarriage for the wheels/axles, and how it is sprung with coils in suspension. could get those coil springs from a discarded bed frame or sofa???

The steampunk stuff is fun because they rarely let engineering get in the way of artistic impact. :)

And congrats on your first upcoming bundle of joy!
rc

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
An old mate of mine always says when someone asks me how to do something,
"For God sake don't ask the man how to build a watch. We'll never get out of here."

Rustycase, has come up with the photo that shows the bottom of our old pram exactly. I like the body of the pram as well. Were they used chromed steel tubing to get the shape of the earlier springs you would make the earlier springs and add coil springs to the ends like they did.

If the grass catcher proves to be too heavy this may be the time to build a small sidecar body for the pram and use it as a sidecar or trailer when the little one gets older.

Steve.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
the stroller looks similar to a David-Bradley garden tractor, and some boat trailer fenders.

the problem you're gonna run into, Harry, is the mower side-plates and other components are gonna be real heavy... basically, it was a good mower, and made to last!

Yet if it's only for limited use on fun basis, perhaps that won't be too much problem.

A google image search for 'steam punk baby stroller' brought a few ideas.

This pic shows the undercarriage for the wheels/axles, and how it is sprung with coils in suspension. could get those coil springs from a discarded bed frame or sofa???

The steampunk stuff is fun because they rarely let engineering get in the way of artistic impact. :)

And congrats on your first upcoming bundle of joy!
rc
RC, just checking, you do realise that i dont plan on building the ratrod style tractor-looking pram, i just included that picture because i thought it was cool. I plan on building a classic looking pram like the three links i supplied in my original post.

I will definitely keep weight in mind, when you say "side plates" you arent referring to the thick plates on the actual mower body are you? I dont in tend on using that part, just the front catcher section, its still reasonably thick metal but should be fine IMO.

Ive seen the "art-deco" style pram photo you showed me, i have seen it but it is cool. Ive spent quite some time looking at old prams on the net and i know what i like and what i want to acheive. I really like the big wheels, dont like the ones with small wheels.

Like you said this will probably only be used a handful of times.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry, I was talking about the stroller that someone made out of the lawn mower front end and and fenders.

Steve.
Ahhhhh, no wonder that was getting a little confusing. I only supplied that mower looking pram as i thought it was cool, i want a classic looking pram, i think they are called "english prams" with really big wheels like in my original post.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=v...5&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

Now you may know what i mean, i could stretch the catcher i have and close one end or find another catcher and weld them back to back. And if it turns out too heavy like RC pointed out i could just fab the whole carriage. I have a fair amount of sheet metal at the moment, not like when i was building my Villiers and couldnt find any sheet metal at a reasonable price.

And if i dont use the catcher i will keep it for a sidecar, thats what i had already intended for it. I remember you mentioned me selling that unused part of the mower in my Villers thread but i knew it would come in handy :) ..... Ill also be able to use the mowers handle (the part you push the mower with) for the pram handle.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Looking at the pictures of the prams that you posted I see that they are suspended on small leather belts. This supplied the rocking motion for the pram body more than the curved springs which were probably more for the body to hang from and didn't supply a lot of spring at all.

Another idea from me. Mahogany plywood sides and the bottom of the pram painted sheet metal. Not expensive and not like anyone elses.

OK. I'll stop now. If you need me, shout. I'll be out in the workshop.

Oh,yes. I said you could sell the rest of the mower and recoup some of your money. Not you should sell it. It usually seems like a good idea about the 8th time you've moved it in a week and your leg hasn't healed from the last time you bashed it when you do it again. :0

fast"always helpful"eddy.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Lol I shoved the mower in a shed full of crap, so I haven't had to move it, but I now have no place to put my regular mower :) but little things like that have never worried me much.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Haha no that would be a Russian pram.... as in a Russian landmines, ive seen these and they are very cool. Someone makes prams out of old mines, there are a heap of different ones...... and you thought my mowers catcher was heavy :)

Notice the hand grenades hanging above the baby for them to play with.... those crazy Ruski's LOL