Trubite to a Indian scout..or maybe a Prince

GoldenMotor.com

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
Tribute to a Indian scout..or maybe a Prince

Well I learned alot on the first bike..and alot from this forum..so now the second build is underway. One of the lessons I learned, if you are gonna do it right, you are gonna spend some money..The general Idea is to do a Indian "tribute"..so this bike will have both Scout, and Prince attributes. Started with Worksman HD wheels with drum brake hubs..I have just shy of 300 buck in those alone. next came the 1 inch .065 4130 crom-moly from wicks aircraft..at 3 bucks a foot..no freight because I picked it up...but that tab was 150 bucks , but I got a little extra.(not that I would make any mistakes)..and 4 Barry mounts while I was there at 10.32 each...so theres another 44 bucks,, a Comet torq convertor..about $200.00 with freight..then 0rdered a flanged HD White industries Freewheel from the boys at Sick bike parts....70 bucks,..and big #35 chain split sprocket from a go-kart supply..and a small on for the jackshaft..a length of 5/8 keyed shaft..more bearings cause I found out the bearings/shaft in the Comet are not 5/8..2 special order bearings from Motion industries for the Honda CT90 fork I am going to use to adapt the front worksman wheel to the Honda axle..50 bucks..Got really lucky and found a 4 x 3 foot sheet of .125 6061 for the tank and a 2 foot length of .250x 6 6061 bar stock at the local scrap yard for 30 bucks..both pieces new stock..Honda GC160 didnt cost me anything..but it would be 200 or so to buy one..tab is over a grand so far..and dont have tires, seat, handle bars , cables, and who knows what else..whew! Nuttin' cheap about this hobby ! OH well...look how much I am learning! Here are a few pics..

Attachments

Last edited:

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
OH yea...Just so you guys know I am not without my imagination...I did a trial fit for a different engine too...you know...just in case...

Attachments

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
The V-twin engine is a Honda GX670..I set it there only to confirm it would fit dimensionally..or at least the bottom croos bar. As I was building the frame, I debated where..or how low to put the cross bar, and decided on the spur of the moment that I ought to place it so a vtwin would fit. However This Bike's mission in life is to be a campground bike..no need for a top speed of over about 25 mph and a definate need for a fully engaged clutch speed of about 5mph on the bottom..so the GC160 is a much better engine for that mission. ON this build, I did not engineer it to handle the higher torque and weight of such an engine, the forks ,and the frame would all need to be upgraded....I did learn ..but if I ever build another with a v-twin.. I could use these dimensions if the seat post was moved further back...but thats about it, other dimensions are about right. When the Ridley motorcycles were on the market, I always admired the theory behind them, using industrial v-twins for power, and torque convertor drives..read that as "automatic transmission". IN the engine world, these engines are really a bargain due to their high volume production, high duty cycle endurance/long life and low price..comparatively to motorcycle engines, and they are designed about as "universal" as can be. I still think its a good market concept. Someday, I might build a larger cruiser..along the Ridley concept..so its in the back of my mind...but its really crowded back there! And fast Eddy..you are right..this is an approxamation of a Indian scout frame..which of course was made for a v-twin!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
To build a nice bike your are going to have to put some money in to it, but I can see you are on the right track with this build. I love the looks of that v-twin but I'm a bit bias. If you decide to use it please make sure the frame and components are strong enough to handle all that power, that engine is quite a bit larger than mine..

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
Lurker..That photo was only of a dimensional test fit...in fact, that particular engine is actually a fire breathing methanol burnin kick ass take no names engine from a pullin tractor I built a few years ago..used forged steel rods with billet inserts, different pistons, and of course had the crank balanced with all the non stock parts to keep it from shaking the world apart..I didnt NOT engineer that frame for even the weight and hp of a stock v-twin Honda, let alone that one, which is probably making 75 hp at 6500rpms. Have no fear..I will put the GC160/Comet in this and be very happy with a projected top speed within campground limits. BUt I also recognized the beauty of a frame built dimensionally similar to an Indian Scout...with a v-twin in it. (like it shoul have).and had to share the photo with you guys!

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You cant just show us that motor in that frame and tease us, but i understand if its not built to handle it..... but you know what this means?.... Now you have to build a stronger version of that frame for that engine.

Besides rednecks like tractor pulling (JK) and hot chicks dig bikes (at least i tell myself that)...... easy decision :)

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Doryphore

We owe this word to Sir Harold Nicolson, who introduced it to the world in the Spectator magazine in August 1952. In an issue of the same magazine later the same year, he described a doryphore as "a person who is entertained by pointing out the insignificant errors of others.”

I paraphrased.

MHF