No Spark - Second Build

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So yesterday my new engine came! Needless to say I was extremely excited, though I did take the time to open it up and look for anything weird the factory might have missed. So far so good so I installed it on the bike with a new clutch, heavy duty cable, new throttle, Dax RT carb, etc. I mixed up 2 gallons of 24:1 and filled that bad boy up.

Coasting down the street for a few moments before letting off the clutch and BAM! Nothing. No spark, no fire, and no joy for me. I started by checking/re-stripping and attaching the ground wire. Nada. I then changed the spark plug. Still nothing. The only other three things I can think that would cause this unfortunate turn of events are the CDI, killswitch, or magneto. Last night I took my replacement CDI and replaced the wire/plug with a better quality Magnecore one and sealed it up with pematex. When I get home it should have dried and I will install to see if that is the cause of this. If not that I will disconnect the killswitch.

The magneto is brand new as it came with the new engine. Do you think the factory may have installed it upside-down? I've done that before and it was the source of a previous issue, embarrassing to my pride as it was.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
So yesterday my new engine came! Needless to say I was extremely excited, though I did take the time to open it up and look for anything weird the factory might have missed. So far so good so I installed it on the bike with a new clutch, heavy duty cable, new throttle, Dax RT carb, etc. I mixed up 2 gallons of 24:1 and filled that bad boy up.

Coasting down the street for a few moments before letting off the clutch and BAM! Nothing. No spark, no fire, and no joy for me. I started by checking/re-stripping and attaching the ground wire. Nada. I then changed the spark plug. Still nothing. The only other three things I can think that would cause this unfortunate turn of events are the CDI, killswitch, or magneto. Last night I took my replacement CDI and replaced the wire/plug with a better quality Magnecore one and sealed it up with pematex. When I get home it should have dried and I will install to see if that is the cause of this. If not that I will disconnect the killswitch.

The magneto is brand new as it came with the new engine. Do you think the factory may have installed it upside-down? I've done that before and it was the source of a previous issue, embarrassing to my pride as it was.
After your first attempt to start, when you pulled the plug how did it look? Was it soaked in gas or dry? Does it look like it never fired?
I would disconned the kill switch for now until you get her running just to make sure that isnt an issue.
As far as things being installed backward, anything can happen, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion before you exhaust all other possibilities.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Well it wasn't soaked but it did smell like gas. It definately looks as if it never fired at all. I will try disconnecting the killswitch first cause my first build had to have the killswitch replaced once as well. I hardly use the killswitch anyway so I have no problem just leaving it disconnected until a replacement comes if that does indeed turn out to be the issue.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
After you disconnect the kill switch, clean the spark plug, turn off fuel and give it a shot of throttle body cleaner or starting fluid...just a short burst. If it's going to fire it will.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
It was the killswitch! I need to move that problem from 4-5th on my troubleshooting list of no spark to 1st thing to check. Judging by the last few "no spark" problems I had I tried those fixes first. After I got it running with the new engine I switched out the cdi (original with lawn mower boot) with the one I did last night which is newer and has a Magnecore line and better boot just for good measure. And changed the spark plug to a new NGK B6HS. I haven't made it to top speed yet because I haven't taken it too far but with the Dax RT carb and new engine I am running faster than I was the whole last month on my old engine! I am still going to permatex the heck out of some spots to make sure I have no leaks for air or moisture to seep through and then its off to work tomorrow for the real test of performance. 4 months ago I knew a lot less about these small combustion engines but thanks to this forum and a lot of cursing at my first build I am happy to say I have learned a lot and am never letting this hobby go!