6 broken ribs and broken collarbone

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had a small accident wed afternoon on the bike. I broke 6 ribs and my collar bone.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no cars involved actually i dont even remember it.

Last edited:

jg767

May 28, 2008
Sorry you got hurt. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Do you remember how fast you were going?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im not at all sure. I just hobbled out back to look at the bike. So far I can't find a thing that looks like a scrape even. I'm not even sure that i ever got that wheel dropped. I was thinking hat maybe the compression of the engine running slower then that bike might have cause it to act like a brake and kick it out of balance. I can't see any sign of anything.

The wobble the people saw could have been rear wheel lock from the motor, or it could have been my going out from the tumor. Either was I have promised the family I would not ride the bike again. I don't know if I will keep that promise or not.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I've had 1 broken rib and it only hurt two different times: every time I moved and every time I breathed :p For 6 weeks...this happened years ago. Earlier this year I stopped up on a sidewalk to work on the bike and was too close to the curb and instead of putting my foot down on the sidewalk I missed and stepped into the gutter. I fell over and when I landed the handlebar grip endcap, a nice chromed piece of rounded plastic, hit me in the same place. I moaned and was glad it was night and no one saw so at least I wasn't embarrased. I re-cracked the rib, hurt just like before :(

Sounds like you could have washed out on sand on the roadway. I've been pitched off of bikes doing that before.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Six ribs and a collar bone? Sorry to hear that. I also broke six ribs and a collar bone 11 months ago. Pretty well healed now but my shoulder still hurts sometimes. It takes a while to heal.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
6 to 8 weeks min I was told and man it does hurt. Like dave said only hurts when i move or breath. Kind of hard not to do one or the other. I just could have been worse. I need to take a lot better look but that is some time in the future but motor doesn't appear to be damaged at all. hard to believe that.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I can't let my wife see this! Take your time and don't try to rush things. Once your feeling better check out the bike real good and see what, if anything, is wrong with it.

Take care (and your meds) and get well soon. If you were closer I could share some of my morphine or oxy pills with ya!

Terry

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a bummer. Thanks for letting people know what happened. It's good food for thought. We need to always be mindful about what can happen while riding a motor bicycle.

I friend told me once about riding my motorcycle, "whenever you ride, death rides along with you."

Reactions: Robert T Spurlock

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I tell this story often.. when I was 23 and back from vietnam a couple of year, I lost touch with reality for a moment. I slid into a sign post. When I told me doctor he told me to check into a hospital. They never could find what was wrong but did find that my balance wasn't quite right.

So I said guess I should sell my motorcycle.. The doctor said to me, if you ride that thing long enough it will kill you,

I said what about all those old bikers I see.

"They just ain't rode it long enough yet."

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Sorry you are hurting Deacon but glad it wasn't worse. I don't know how you feel cause I haven't broken a bone in my 64 1/2 years. Hope you get better soon and can ride again. Your fd posts inspired me to build my first mb.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
these were my first broken bones so i guess you are never too old to learn something new... thanks guys im coping.