Your a/c unit sucks

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Every summer rolls around and it seems like a lot of people are surprised that their air-conditioning system isn't working, or not working very well.

I don't know how hot it is where you live but it's 100 degrees here in lovely Baltimore today, and has set heat records 4 times in the last 2 weeks.

Couple that with high humidity and you have a recipe for some pretty miserable nights sleep if your a/c system is crap.

I service residential a/c systems and every year see the same old thing.
Memorial day weekend, 96 degrees and some people are turning their a/c on for the first time for summer weather. The stupidity starts here. After all we've had hot weather on and off for a month or so.

Let me tell you that a residential service call during working hours starts with a $115 fee to show up at your door. After that the sky's the limit after diagnosing what's wrong and making repairs. Weekend and after hour rates will require you to practically make a bank loan necessary.

A large percentage of what I see could be avoided if people would use their noodle and put a little TLC into their equipment. You guys are handy enough to arm yourself with a little bit of knowledge and work on something that doesn't have wheels.

Central a/c units are a mechanical system just like a car, motorized bike , or anything else with moving parts that are subject to wear and tear, and Mother Nature's wrath.

If you can build a bike from the ground up, you can take some of that skill and mechanical know-how and take some simple preventative measures to possibly ward off calling in the pro's.

Here's some Do's and Don'ts::::::::::::

1) Change your air filter every 30 days . Make sure it is the right size for your filter rack. Buy a decent pleated filter, ditch the cheapo blue fiberglass ones.
Neglecting to do so will filth up your indoor evaporator coil and blower, it will freeze into a large block of ice, kill the air flow out of your registers and possibly damage your $$$ compressor. It's the single most important thing you can do to save you money and keep old Bessy running for a long time.

2) Clear away overgrown bushes, plants etc from your outdoor unit so it can breathe. Overhanging limbs should be at least 4 feet above the top of the unit to avoid re-circulating hot discharge air. Plants, fences etc should be at least 1 foot away from the sides. Keep clearance for the service access panel so someone can inevitably work on it. Not everyone is thin like me.

3) Periodically take a garden hose and clean that outdoor condenser coil.
The best way is to squirt from the inside out. At least take a look at it see what you may be capable of doing if it a metal louvered jacket surrounds the outside. Some aren't too difficult to remove if you are inclined. Squirt straight down from the top ,working your way to the bottom if that's the best you can do.

A dirty outdoor coil does many bad things to your expensive outdoor unit.
High temperatures, high pressures, high current draw, decreased cooling capacity, and significantly shorter equipment lifespan to name a few.

4) Don't blow lawn clippings from the mower at the outdoor unit.
Don't weed wack the wiring and refrigerant lines.
Don't let your dog wizz on the unit. It literally eats the aluminum fins right off the coil.

5) If you have the ability to clean the drain line do so. Air-conditioners can easily make 10 gallons of condensation in a day in humid climates.
This can make a heck of a mess all over the floor, and really trash a gas or oil furnace if this water runs down through the heat exchanger and electronic components inside.

6) Don't set your thermostat below 70 degrees. You'll freeze the sucker and run it to it's death.

7) Feel your refrigerant lines to get an idea how it's doing.

The larger copper tubing with pipe insulation on it (suction line) should feel cold if you can access an uninsulated spot at either end. It should never have ice on it, or be anything but cold while it's running.

The smaller copper line (liquid line) should feel body temperature or quite warm on a hot day. If it's hot or burns your hand you've got issues to address. The outdoor coil is dirty or refrigerant has been overcharged.

8) Get it looked at by a reputable company every year if you can afford it. At least every 5 years whether you can afford it or not.
They can clean and oil motors and blowers, check refrigerant levels, and give an overall check up. A stitch in time saves nine...

By all means don't run it if you think something is wrong with it. Customers tell me they left it on because they thought it would "fix itself". Ok whatever.

If you have any questions or want advice or specific information P.M. me..

Advice is free.... repairmen aren't

TiM

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tim,
That's really thoughtful of you to post this information... bound to help some members out. Up my way in northern Minnesota few people have air conditioning. The high today was 73. I went swimming in the lake for the first time last week... chilly with surface water temps around 68 and of course colder down under. So on a hot day (like mid 80's) a dip in the lake is the way to suck the heat out in a hurry. My daughter lives in Baltimore and is probably taking my grandkids to the pool to cool off. I feel for you guys.
SB

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, mine did suck. It was 30 years old and I've been fixing on it for 10 years now.

I took advantage of the big stimulus rebates and replaced the whole thing last fall.

I'm ready - :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh, Tim, that brought back so many memories...lol...lol...
35 years in the HVAC industry and everything you said is true, so true.

I always said there were three things that the DIY guys wouldn't/shouldn't touch was, an automatic transmission, televisions and air conditioning systems.
There are so many misconceptions about air conditioning and problems caused by poor maintenance that no service company should ever be short of work.

I sat here, read your post and laughed hard remembering things from my younger days when I did residential air. The homeowner who had shrubbery covering the condensing unit, or gave you that blank look when you asked when was the last time they changed their filter :) "Huh? Filter? Where?" And you found it an inch think with dog/cat hair and dirt. Oh, and the coil was icing and they wanted to know why!

Okay, enough:
Take it from Tim, you guys. Take a close look at the things he outlined here and maybe save yourself a small fortune in repairs. You know, Global Warming is coming and you'll need that A/C system in good shape :)
Tom

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
thank for the tips this is a great thread. i have had to fix my a/c last summer and this summer. first it was the capacitor then it was the contactor. I did both my self including the trouble shooting which took way longer then a professoinal but i probably paid 70 total for both parts and saved hundreds. I cant afford to have someone come out and svc it once a year but I do almost everything you said to it. since ÷ have had it 12years it has never been serviced and still runs good. i hope to be making good money this summer finally to have it serviced. though.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Thanks Tim..good and important info..amazes me that some folks think their home AC filters last for 6 months and have a jungle growing around the outside condenser..but I guess they are the folks who havent checked or changed their automobile oil in 50,000 miles.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The filter in my new one is good for 6 months according to the contractor that installed it. It's 4 inches thick.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
4" thick?
Mike, that's a commercial grade filter and not recommended for residential use. The evaporator fan in your A/C doesn't have the power to pull through a 4" filter. You could potentially cause yourself some problems. A filter that is too thick or too high effecient will cause the same problems as a very dirty filter. The evaporator coil requires a certain amount of air to pass over it (CFM). Restricting the air will lower the suction pressure and that can cause coil icing and possible damage to the compressor from liquid slugging.(you can't compress a liquid).
I'll bet Tim will confirm this for me.
Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Actually the 4 inch, more commonly 5" media type filters are becoming quite popular
in the past few years. Honeywell, Spaceguard, Air bear, are a just a few names out there.
They have replaced the older now unpopular electronic air cleaners that were so popular in the 1980's. They offer little resistance to airflow.
Lifespan of a media filter is usually 6 months to a year depending on conditions.
They look like this:
16x25 Charged-Media Filer
The big drawback to this type of filter is their cost. Somewhere in the $35 range twice a year.
Personally I use a good quality 1" pleated filter that cost about $3 but need to change it every 6 weeks or so. It works out to be about half as much money but is less convenient.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ya see what happens when you've been away for a while :)

Thanks, Tim. I do remember those old Honeywell electronic things; snap, crackle, pop and really noisy when a bug got sucked in.
Thanks for the input and clarification.

Mike, go for it.
Tom

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Guess I am not to old to learn something new every day...but mine is set up for an 18 x 18 one inch filter so I just use those...Got central heat and air just put in last year..had a centrally located oil furnace that gave up 10 years ago and 4 wall AC units..figured it was about time to spend some money

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Every time I see people talking about AC units I kinda laugh to myself. I've lived in the same house for 13 years now and do not use any AC in the summer. Memphis gets fairly hot in the summer and the humidity... let's just say that sometimes it's so thick it makes you want to do the breast stroke when you walk outside.

I just use a couple fans and open windows. As long as the air is moving from the fans I love the heat. I hurt a lot less when it's hot. For some reason I get fewer visitors in the summer, guess they're all addicted to the AC.

People try all winter to get the temperature in their home up to 75 or 80* and in they summer the go the other way.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nunya speaks the truth. Air conditioning is probably more adddictive than heroine.
We lived in this house for eighteen years with no A/C. I used to love to open the windows at night and use a window fan to pull in the cool night air. Since I put in central air we haven't had the windows open once. That's disgraceful.

What I hate is being cooped up in the house all winter with that stupid gas furnace on, drying out the air and breathing recirculated dirt and dust. (yes, we have a humidifier)
And people want to know why they suffer from allergies. I'll give them three gusses.

I was raised in Miami Florida and we didn't have air conditioning until I was in my late teens. I can remember laying in my bed at night, sweating and praying for a cool breeze. Maybe it's age but I couldn't live like that anymore. Getting old really su**s :)

Tom

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Here it is.

This is the "filter base". The whole 80 KBTU furnace / 3.5 ton evaporator coil stack sits on top of it.

Yeah, when I changed it after 6 months, it wasn't even dirty. Could have gone another 6 months.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
40% efficient. No wonder you can run a 4" filter.
Commercial equivalent would probably be a 95% filter. Those would need hurricane force winds to get air through it.
Darn, Mike. What do those puppies cost each?
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, My AC used to suck...

But not any more - :)

95% efficiency condensing furnace and 15 SEER AC

I think the new condenser unit is a bit bigger than the old one eh?

:)