reliability

GoldenMotor.com

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I want to know how reliable these Chinese gas motors 66cc tend to be?

I know they aren't perfect but out of 10 motors how many wont run or are crap and how many will run for awhile then quite and how many will go like 2000 miles?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I want to know how reliable these Chinese gas motors 66cc tend to be?

I know they aren't perfect but out of 10 motors how many wont run or are crap and how many will run for awhile then quite and how many will go like 2000 miles?
I've bought 5 engines, only had a problem with the first one...blew a head gasket, and had a bad coil..happened the third day. Ever since I've made upgrades had not had a problem. You get what you pay for and what do you expect for $150.00. I've run the same engines before 8/2009. I know I've gotten well use over the engine investment. I have anywhere from $200.00 to $300.00 (new bike) per build.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have 4 engines and I've had issues only with one and it was initially my fault as a noob...... or I believe it would still be running today.

This isn't to say that these China Girls are top of the line by any means but if set up right you should do pretty well with it as long as it didnt have a fatal flaw out of the box which ahs been known to happen every now and then but it isn't very common.

I like the engine BGF sells on ebay but other will differ, and I will differ with them ....they are all a crap shoot to some extent because they are cheap china stuff, but I have been very pleased with all of mine accept the one I hand grenaded.....LOL!

Peace

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I would not call these engines "reliable". In terms of reliably getting you place to place at a high speed when they DO work, they are "reliable", but you will be working on your bike for several hours EVERY weekend of riding season at the VERY LEAST to keep it running right. They are picky and need lots of upgrading and fixing. but they are fun if you like to tinker and build. I've owned several now and love them :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's about as easy to answer this question as it is to predict the next winning lottery numbers.
Amen.
The important varible is mechanical skill and common sense.
If you've never picked up a screwdriver or a wrench then the chances are you'll have poor reliability from your engine/kit. Those builders who have been involved with mechanical things for years are those you'll hear the succes stories from. The ones who can't tell a 9/16 wrench from a 3/8" are the ones who will have problems.
Just because they're bicycles doesn't mean that things are simple. You need a good grasp of things mechanical for a successful build. Just my opinion.
Tom

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
wait, there's a difference between those socket sizes, WOAH. Lol, 2door is right, listen to him :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Amen....you took the words right out of my mouth on that one

You are dead on Aleman.......and you said it all so much better than I id in my post.......

Amen.
The important varible is mechanical skill and common sense.
If you've never picked up a screwdriver or a wrench then the chances are you'll have poor reliability from your engine/kit. Those builders who have been involved with mechanical things for years are those you'll hear the succes stories from. The ones who can't tell a 9/16 wrench from a 3/8" are the ones who will have problems.
Just because they're bicycles doesn't mean that things are simple. You need a good grasp of things mechanical for a successful build. Just my opinion.
Tom

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
OK so these kits are good 90 percent of the time if you take time to keep them up every couple days or so.
I have a bit of mechanical skill I i work on an rebuild outboard motors all the time,I weld good,have good tools,I build go kart and mini bikes when i can.
I am always around motors in fact i got 18 different motor in my garage right now i have been working on i sell them too.

so if you got a complete kit and your good with motor and metal you should be fine ok

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep......and here is pretty good kits at a pretty good price IMHO...

80CC BICYCLE MOTOR gas ENGINE KIT MOTORIZED silver X80A

or

80CC BICYCLE MOTOR ENGINE KIT BIKE gas motorized z2-80

or

Chrome 80CC motor bike engine KIT motorized bicycle

If you like Chrome this last one is nice and shiny.........!

I got all my engines from BGF and am very happy with them.....

OK so these kits are good 90 percent of the time if you take time to keep them up every couple days or so.
I have a bit of mechanical skill I i work on an rebuild outboard motors all the time,I weld good,have good tools,I build go kart and mini bikes when i can.
I am always around motors in fact i got 18 different motor in my garage right now i have been working on i sell them too.

so if you got a complete kit and your good with motor and metal you should be fine ok

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have a bunch of extra engines too... But I aint figure a good way to put a small block chevy or a 18-22HP v twin on a bike yet............... and as he said he is a Marine mechanic so soem of those my be outboard engines........LOL not the best for putting on a bike I would think.........

Peace

OK so why not take time put one of 18 motors in garage right now on bike?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur with what 2Door said!
My personal opinion is that these China engines are quite reliable if you just have some mechanical skill to start with; (& follow the advice of the experienced builders here.)

The majority of 'first timer' problems come from inexperienced builders who just don't know the simple little tricks to install them to run trouble free.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
because the 18 motors in my garage are to big
18hp 2 cylinder 4 stroke Wisconsin motor
125cc 2 stroke Yamaha dirt bike motor
200cc lifan motor
440cc jet ski motor
600cc bobber motor
277cc rotax single cylinder motor(20 plus hp)
to name a few

the smallest i got is the 97cc 2 stoke 5 hp motor i got and that motor is the motor on my new mini bike project

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a bunch of extra engines too... But I aint figure a good way to put a small block chevy or a 18-22HP v twin on a bike yet............... and as he said he is a Marine mechanic so soem of those my be outboard engines........LOL not the best for putting on a bike I would think.........

Peace

Small Block Chevy on a bike? Been there, did that :)
Tom

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep Yep Yep..............

Listen to these guys bro. they are hitting the nail right on the head!

I concur with what 2Door said!
My personal opinion is that these China engines are quite reliable if you just have some mechanical skill to start with; (& follow the advice of the experienced builders here.)

The majority of 'first timer' problems come from inexperienced builders who just don't know the simple little tricks to install them to run trouble free.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
when i get the kit i will come here to get all the tips i think i may no some but i would like all them i can get
thanks guys
and Mapbike man you have been so much help
so have all you guys thanks a ton