Difference between kits

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The super rat has an internal CDI, and there's some other features I've heard, but can't remember - I know it's something with the jug...

To warn you, they both have the CNSv2 carburators, no matter which one you get, you're prolly gonna have to replace that.

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
A friend and I started building bikes at the same time, and he has replaced his motor twice (1st being a ebay kit, 2nd being a Raw motor kit) now he's on his third motor and it's a Raw issued. I have had a Grubee S.H. 66cc the whole time and have never had any major problems. I'm not sure how beneficial an internal cdi setup would be, but then I have not seen the super rat in person.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Thanks for the quick responses. I was also considering getting this kit. Should I pony up some more cash for a "better" kit?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
In my very own personal opinion - brand name doesn't mean jack. They're all china built blocks, and there is little to no quality assurance.

The Grubee name has a couple things other's don't - in some of their newer models, they have steel lined cylinders, and they have certain innovations like the Super Rat (which is a very new model, beginning of this year I believe) and it's internal CDI and whatever modification there is to the internal porting on the cylinder. Though, they also brown nose the EPA, and that's why there's catalytic exhausts and the "new high performance carb" that we know and love as the CNSv2 (which is garbage). That protects their company, which is great for them, but the customers are the ones who suffer in that. *wow, ending rant now*

Myself, I ride Raw motors cause I just like to. They treat me well, have a pretty good warranty, and they've been around for a little while. Their kits come stock with NT carbs, 415 chain and non-cat exhausts, so there's not as much immediate replacing of stock stuff. Heck, their older nondished sprockets from a few years back actually were predrilled out for disc rotor mounts.

Most importantly though, I feel that you should just look at the accessories that come with the kits. Is it standard bike chain, or 410/415? Is the chain tensioner bearing'd? As well, always ask what's the warranty that the seller has?

I would really say get the cheaper of the 3, there's not much a difference and it has an NT carb.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Though, they also brown nose the EPA, and that's why there's catalytic exhausts and the "new high performance carb" that we know and love as the CNSv2 (which is garbage). That protects their company, which is great for them, but the customers are the ones who suffer in that. *wow, ending rant now*
Personally, I would avoid all of these new-fangled deviations from the standard Chinese kit.
I mean, that new Grubee engine has an integral magneto/CDI, but where can you find spares? Don't think you can toss a regular magneto in there, because the block is drilled differently and the crankshaft is keyed differently than the standard Chinese kit, the magnet is different and larger, so you are stuck with an engine with proprietary components.
And let's not get started about that new CNS carb..
I would stick to the old style stuff, that is supported by many vendors, and plenty of spare parts to be found from a multitude of vendors.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I looked at Raw motors but they don't seem to be selling any kits at this time. I do plan on getting disc brakes after a while so a pre drilled sprocket would be nice. I also plan on getting a shift kit from SBP so that will obviate the need for the custom sprocket. Are there any other suggestions where I can buy engine kits?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Honestly, check the links at the side of the page here. For the most part - those are the vendors to check out. Take a look at all of them first, and let us know what piques your interest.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I was looking at either Pirate Cycles or Bikeberry. Pirate is sold out of the kit at the moment and I have no idea if bikeberry has the kit in stock or not. I've heard bad things about Gasbike/Kings otherwise I'd buy from them.

Right now I'm just in the planning phase of my build. I need to get the crank and cassette swapped out for some higher end gears for more speed and then I'm planning on putting on some disc brakes. Then I'll probably buy a kit to put on. After I've go tit motorized I'll probably do a shifter kit from SBP.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Try Piston bikes, they should have something. Check out their link and give them a call; they answer every time I call and parts arrive usually within 4 days. Whichever kit you do decide to go with, as long as you tune it right and take care of it then it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I second the piston bikes opinion. Just got a motor from them. They answered both times I called, were very helpful and I even got a branded shop rag because my engine got put on back order through no fault of PB's. Customer service from them is top notch.

Best experience of the 3 motor kits I have bought (BGF, Gasbikes, Pistonbikes). Plan on buying another motor from there in a few days.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I looked at Piston Bikes and they have nice stuff but I don't want to get a CNS carb. Can I just toss the carb that comes with the kit and get this carb? I wonder if Piston would take $20 off the kit I was looking at and just ship it with an NT carb instead. I guess I can always call up and find out.

It won't hurt to ask, but I personally doubt they will switch carbs. That would involve opening the boxes, switching carbs and resealing them.

I have the cnsv2 myself. It did take longer to tune than the nt, but it's a nice little carb. Just takes a few plug chops to make sure you are running correctly is all.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
True enough. Then again, they also sell a carb for $20 so I might just consider that a necessary "upgrade". I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than $200 to motorize my bike and I really should stick to that. Doesn't mean upgrades down the road can't happen (and probably will).

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
OK. So I've been looking at some of the other kits. Like I said, my max is approx $200 that I'll spend on a kit. But what reason would I have to spend that much over a similar kit like this or this? I understand the Super Rat is a newer model and has an integrated CDI plus a the CNS carb (which I'll prolly replace with the NT for reliability) , but beyond that is there much difference? I suppose chains and mounting hardware vary greatly but in the grand scheme of things is there some reason to spend another $40-50 on the Grubee kits?

I plan on making this my daily transportation. I ride to work right now but there are days where it would be nice to have the extra hill climbing power or when I'm riding into a headwind which is why I'm looking into motorizing in the first place.

Sorry for all the questions guys. I just want to do this right the first time.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
And the modified jug.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to go with it - there's actually a Super Rat full tear down somewhere on one of these forums, so you can get a more educated opinion on it.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Modified jug? Gonna have to coach me on what that means.

I don't mind paying extra for quality but if I can get the same thing out of some el cheapo motor kit then I don't see any reason not to go with the cheaper option.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The jug is the cylinder body, sorry, I just hate to type cylinder. :) What is modified on the Super Rat's jug/cylinder is the transfer ports from what I've heard.

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey benute I JUST bought my kit so ill give you my 2 bits as well. Its just a 66cc slant head black chinese kit...nothing out of the ordinary, but it came with extra hardware, large tube mount, and oddly enough the jug's intake and exhaust ports had no casting flash or slag to be removed....I didnt even need to polish the ports. Basically it was just a really great kit, and had the tensioner w/bearing and the new higher quality muffler. It was the cheapest of any of the comparable ones out there. I got it from T4B in Alberta Canada and it was quite a bit cheaper and included shipping. I was really satisfied so might be worth a look?

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Hey benute I JUST bought my kit so ill give you my 2 bits as well. Its just a 66cc slant head black chinese kit...nothing out of the ordinary, but it came with extra hardware, large tube mount, and oddly enough the jug's intake and exhaust ports had no casting flash or slag to be removed....I didnt even need to polish the ports. Basically it was just a really great kit, and had the tensioner w/bearing and the new higher quality muffler. It was the cheapest of any of the comparable ones out there. I got it from T4B in Alberta Canada and it was quite a bit cheaper and included shipping. I was really satisfied so might be worth a look?
I wish. I'm in the states. Shipping would kill me. Thanks for the heads up though. Do you have any experience with bike engines or engines in general? Let me know how your build goes.