I found the problem!

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
BGF has always combined shipping for me, sometimes I have got an alert in my email from paypal telling me that funds have been credited to my paypal account and each time it was BGF returning some of the shipping charge on multiple items I ordered.

Peace

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
BGF has always combined shipping for me, sometimes I have got an alert in my email from paypal telling me that funds have been credited to my paypal account and each time it was BGF returning some of the shipping charge on multiple items I ordered.

Peace

Yepp, he just refunded it to my PayPal like you just said.
That is cool.

Good place to buy from it seems....Stuff shoul dbe here tomorrow or the next day. I'll give it longer though.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know we have people here that wont buy from BGF or some of the other venders out there ebay or not......, but I have never had a single complaint with BGF, he has always done exactly what he said he would and I feel he offers as good a deal as any and better than most.

Cant wait to hear that you and Dad are cruising around on that bike having a ball......

.wee.

Peace

Yepp, he just refunded it to my PayPal like you just said.
That is cool.

Good place to buy from it seems....Stuff shoul dbe here tomorrow or the next day. I'll give it longer though.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
eric:
my buss card says "parts - repair - installation" .... so i try to carry a few extra of the common parts.
several web sites you can get a CDI only for $9 add 4$ for the ignition wire.. i keep 3 or 4 on hand, along with a couple of MAG's
i also buy 7mm solid core wire and the standard auto bent clip and boot. it will screw into the CDI and you keep the plug clip on the end of the plug...

stay dry
gubba

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
rohill...
i know that you are aware of the following.... this is for the edification of the newer users...

at the factories they use 8 year olds and 80 year ods in the assembly line.there is NO quality controll to see if assembly is correct!
the first time you start the motor is the FIRST time it has run. they are not even spin tested---lol

i got a full kit once that did NOT have any bearrings in the clutch hub....
magneto wires that were ren and lavender on one.... lol

i have seen jugs that the molding seams were not removed or polished.... ran sizzling hot and a hard freeze at 1500 miles (8 miles from home)

clutch pads that were melted and stuck to the pressure plate.

you are buying a pig in a poke with these china girls, its luck of the draw. they are the cheapest made 2-strokes
available on the market.
BUT!!!!
you can replace the motor only for about $100 including shipping ..... you can replace 8 motors for the same price as one of the higher priced qualty made brands.
in the long run they are still the better value.

most of the break downs are improper break-in or runnung them at WOT from the first time started, trying to do wheelies, drag racing their friends, wrong fuel/gas mixture...owner abuse, etc

just my opinion of course....lol

stay dry
gubba

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I know we have people here that wont buy from BGF or some of the other venders out there ebay or not......, but I have never had a single complaint with BGF, he has always done exactly what he said he would and I feel he offers as good a deal as any and better than most.
I thought I read that 2 of your 6? BGF motors blew up on you......maybe more.
2 out of 6? That is not good odds.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
rohill...
the first time you start the motor is the FIRST time it has run. they are not even spin tested---lol

just my opinion of course....lol

stay dry
gubba
Your opinion is based on your limited experience.
for example Grubee Starfire GT 4's are started and run after assembly
and before they are packed.
I didn't see any 8 year olds in videos I have seen of some Chinese
bicycle motor "factories"
Gimme a link.....

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I can vouch for the Starfire GT4. Mine was run, it smelled of gas and when I removed the head, the head, piston and spark plug were covered in black oily residue which I wiped off with a rag. The cylinder had a large amount of yellow oil covering it. The piston and cylinder were nicely chromed too.

Yes, I think they do mix 30W motor oil with their gas - laff

I have seen a lot of stuff here about how good the Starfire GT4's were and I have to admit being a little concerned about getting a motor that was 2 years old. but now I am very glad I did get a 2 year old GT4 from Nantong Jaili.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nope you read wrong sir,

I had 1 engine NOT 2, that I wrecked running it WOT for several miles with an oil/fuel mix at 70:1 and this oil wasn't designed for that lean of a mix, the engine was brand new and it locked up due to my running it too long too hard on too lean of a mix.

Then this very same engine failed again after 420 miles after a complete rebuild, the only part that wasnt new in this engine was the crankshaft, which I bought from another member here used, it looked to be in good condition, but the block that it came out of looked like it had 10,000 miles on it and had been broke in multiple places and had new holes drilled and tapped in it where originally there were no holes, I assume this was for mounting the engine somehow after the mounts had been broken off.

I was a little leary of the crank all along, and that crank was very out of balance from the very start, it would numb my hands, butt & was even rough on my feet if I ran it very hard for very long.

So to sum this all up, this BGF engine was just fine until I trashed it with the lean oil mix and the long distance for too long when it was new and tight.

I truly believe this last failure was due to the huge amount of wicked vibration that this engine had after the rebuild because of the used junk $30 crankshaft I put in it...... I completely believe that if I had just ordered a new crank from BGF for $20 I would still be running and enjoying that engine as we speak, I put a used baddly balanced crank in the engine instead unknowingly and this was it's demize in my honest opinion.

I know you may differ and that is fine, but I will put the engines BGF sells up against any of the others because they all come from the same place & are made from the same cheap materials......some people on here hate all the Grubee engines because they have had several of them that were junk, and some hate the Stingers, and some hate the RAW engine, and so on and so on.............they are all crap shoots........you can get a good of any of them and you can get a bad, you can also trash a good one like I did.........that engine was smoothe and ran like a scalded ape until I did what I did to it, I was a noob to these engines at that time and just gave her more blues than she could handle.........plain and simple, it wasn't the fault of the engine, it all sat on my shoulders.

I dont know where you got the 6 from because I've only had 4 and I killed the 1 of that 4 because of lack of knowledge of these engines..... I had 2 bikes built and running before I had ever even heard of this forum, I didn't have any advice of point of reference at that time so I screwed it up because of this lack of knowledge.

Send me your best engine and let me treat it the way I treated that one and I'll send it back to you siezed up and junk.....guaranteed!!!

None of them will take what I did to mine.

Peace

I thought I read that 2 of your 6? BGF motors blew up on you......maybe more.
2 out of 6? That is not good odds.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I got the new CDI from BFG(fast shipping BTW) I put the CDI on....nothing, same as before. I put on the new Magneto....nothing, same as before.

Sorry guys, I'm done and will never post here again, thanks for trying.

Eric.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I got the new CDI from BFG(fast shipping BTW) I put the CDI on....nothing, same as before. I put on the new Magneto....nothing, same as before.

Sorry guys, I'm done and will never post here again, thanks for trying.

Eric.
Oh no!
The Chinese 2 stroke kits are a great learning tool and
the way they turn out is more a reflection of the builder
than the kit........it's a Zen kinda thing.

They definitely are not for everybody!

If you have spark try just a little starting fluid shot into
the carb with the air cleaner off.

Spark at the right time, gas, compression = Vrroom , vroomm

If you bought it over to me I would have it running in
half an hour at the most.
Hey, how much will you sell it for?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try the starting fluid trick. Spray it down the throat of the carburetor. If it doesn't fire off with that ether then there is a problem. Of course there's a problem or you'd be riding by now.
New CDI, new magneto, confirmed spark and you have fuel. The choke is open and the engine still won't fire.
I'm going back to that magneto rotor that was sloppy on the shaft. I think we're looking at an ignition timing problem.
I asked earlier in this thread but didn't get an answer. Is there a warranty with the seller? Have you contacted him and explained your problems?
Too bad you're 2000 miles away. I'd love to have a go at that thing.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am speechless that it is still not working.
How far are you from Nassau County, Long Island?
My offer to you is:
You bring the bike and all over here, and if I can't get it to run, I will buy everything from you for what you paid for it, engine kit and bicycle, and any other parts you bought for it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Tom I agree 100%

Eric2.0 had posted that he had Spark, Fuel, Air, Compression and had even put a small amount of straight gas in the cylinder and still couldn't get it to even try to kick off.....and had told us about the mag rotor being very sloppy on the crank.

That is when myself and others brought the possible wrong timing into question.

We all know that timing has got to be right or all the other components are useless.

I still say several of us guys could have that engine going in no time flat unless there is some major mechanical problem that is still unknown, Like maybe the keyway in the crank was cut in the wrong place or something very strange like that....

I sure would like to get a crack at that engine just for one day.......I love a good challenge and I know the rest of you fella's on this thread like one as well.....

Man I sure was hoping to hear a good report from Eric2.0 my heart really goes out to him and his Dad on this deal.....It seems he has tried so dang hard at this.....and to see this go down as a complete failure really sucks, I wish so bad I had the 100% fool proof answer for him, if the plug is getting wet with fuel and the plug is sparking when the engine turns and it has good compression and the timing is correct it has no other choice but to run are at least try to bust off, man the is frustrating...! It has GOT TO BE TIMING!!!!!

What else could it be?

Dont quit on it Eric, I know this really stinks but that engine can run.....

Peace

Try the starting fluid trick. Spray it down the throat of the carburetor. If it doesn't fire off with that ether then there is a problem. Of course there's a problem or you'd be riding by now.
New CDI, new magneto, confirmed spark and you have fuel. The choke is open and the engine still won't fire.
I'm going back to that magneto rotor that was sloppy on the shaft. I think we're looking at an ignition timing problem.
I asked earlier in this thread but didn't get an answer. Is there a warranty with the seller? Have you contacted him and explained your problems?
Too bad you're 2000 miles away. I'd love to have a go at that thing.
Tom

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Eric2.0 had posted that he had Spark, Fuel, Air, Compression and had even put a small amount of straight gas in the cylinder and still couldn't get it to even try to kick off.....and had told us about the mag rotor being very sloppy on the crank.
I've wondered, even after I made a new Key, that it's still not right. It fits snug with the new Key I made. All I get is like before.. A muffled, quiet "try to start" with no effect from choking or throttle.
I rode forever today trying to get to rip, switched plugs, tried it with choke without choke....everything. Still pedal as fast I can go for 50 friggin feet and all I get is a slight put put that is not even very noisy.

Just pisses me off, because this is my dad's "thing" he brought it up and decided to get the kit. I'm better at this sort of thing than him, so I told him I would get it going.... I told him today I still cannot get it running and of course he's frustrated and told me to forget it.

Well it sucks, because it takes away some of my image...makes me look bad..know what I mean? I hate that and for Christ sakes I have worked and ran a 700 triple Polaris Sled engine, worked on an Outboard engines(even re-built one) built and raced a 358 Chevy too.

So I know what makes an engine tick and I'm no "greenhorn" but this damn engine just boggles my mind...I'm thinking vacuum leak, cracked head/rings...something like that. Or even the keyway not in the right place throwing off timing. Who knows....with this Chinese junk it could very well be.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I am speechless that it is still not working.
How far are you from Nassau County, Long Island?
My offer to you is:
You bring the bike and all over here, and if I can't get it to run, I will buy everything from you for what you paid for it, engine kit and bicycle, and any other parts you bought for it.
I'm in Jefferson County, NY Quite a ways away. I'd be there tonight if I were closer...I promise you that and I'd take your offer fully. no doubt.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
BTW the spark STILL looks weak to me and I get a slight orange kernal too. I know that isn't right, but I installed a NEW CDI AND Magneto today!!