briggs cosmetics...

GoldenMotor.com

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
howdy folks... i just scored a very clean, low hours 5hp briggs i/c at a yard sale for $20... i want to strip it down to the bare bones to make it look like it belongs on a vintage bike... i won't be using the shroud, low oil switch, governor, pull start, or any other non essential parts... my question is how much can i shave off the block, head, and fly wheel fin-wise without compromising cooling... has anyone 'vintaged' up an i/c motor before? pics?

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have run three machines with no cooling shroud and modified flywheels and have had no trouble with overheating, but having said that, I would be very nervous about removing too much of the cooling fins unless it was just rounding off the corners a bit. And the head?...I wouldn't touch at all...unless you were considering shaving the fins altogether and welding on some larger ones in the direction of air flow to help dissipate more heat...I was considering doing that with my current build, but just don't have the time.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've been running 5hp Briggs motors for over 20 years all trimmed up with no flywheel fins or shrouds. Cylinder and head cut down extensively with no overheating problem, ever. No reason you can't do the same. Trimming the cyl. and head give the motor a totally different look than the stock Briggs. Squared off, angled or rounded, you should have no problem. Would love to see what style you come up with.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Msrfan,

What tool do you use to cut and trim the head and cylinder fins? Is it as simple as an angle grinder with a 4" grinding wheel?

Thanks for the pictures and tips. I have a 5hp B&S motor that I would like to trim down. Also, do you know of a source for those allen head topped head bolts for the briggs engine?

Thanks for all the help,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Gilbert. I use a band saw or hack saw on the head and just a hacksaw, angle grinder/sander and files on the cylinder. I got the allen bolts at Mcfaddendale hardware, but you will have to countersink the towers on the head. I needed clearance for that project. I also use allen bolt lock washers to keep the bolt head off the aluminum.

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
thanks... you confirmed my suspicion... i went at it with a bench grinder, band saw, and files... looking sharp! pulled apart the motor too and it is CLEAN... my only worry is that i don't have a bearing style crank and side cover... haven't pulled the fly wheel yet so i don't know if the block has a bearing or not... are the non bearing motors tough enough?

[email protected]

Oct 18, 2009
hillsboro,ohio
msrfan,you had a print of your decompression apperatis for a briggs engine which I would like to make one myself,but I can't find it. could you post that again or direct me how to find it? thanks in advance.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
msrfan,you had a print of your decompression apperatis for a briggs engine which I would like to make one myself,but I can't find it. could you post that again or direct me how to find it? thanks in advance.
I couldn't find this post to answer your question until just now, so I started a new thread on my compression rlease. Thanks for the inquiry.

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
pulled apart the engine completely and found that this motor has barely been run... it seems to have some not so stock parts in it... i'm wondering if there is a way to identify my camshaft... it looks sort of stock but a cleaner casting, grind, and chamfered teeth, it also has faint timing marks on the front and the number 49 on the shaft between the lobes...?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Those were some sharp looking engines there! Very nice :D I would love to do it but I'll stick with the Chinas because I'm afraid of the cops.