Bike been in the shed for about 8 months wont fire up

GoldenMotor.com

gassaway

Jun 20, 2010
colorado
I have had my bike in the shed for 8 months tried to start it up today......nogo.
changed the plug. still wont turn over, do I need to drain the tank and refill?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The shelf life of 2 stroke fuel is relatively short; just a few weeks at best. I'd start with draining the tank but the carburetor might also benefit from a good flushing. Mix your fuel in a seperate container, not the bike's fuel tank and go from there. Check the normal things such as wiring connections, spark plug and the plug lead from the CDI. Keep in mind that the engine needs three things to run; fuel, air and ignition. Make sure you have all three in the proper proportions.
Let us know how things work out.
Where are you in Colorado?
Tom

Last edited:

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I agree with the above; check everything but most importantly, change the fuel.

The oil is heavier than the fuel and will sink to the bottom. When trying to start up, the oil is going to clog the engine and make it hard to start.

Also, as 2door says, the life expectancy of fuel isn't long, I wouldn't know about oil, but I doubt it's doing too well left 8 months to rot.

Clean out the carb, put in some new fuel, and do a check on everything else, clean them if you have to, and you're good to go.

Oh, just remembered, grease up the gears and all; they may have dried up by now or become less efficient in their purpose?