hi i have a after market 48cc motor

GoldenMotor.com

peiceofsh!t

Jan 15, 2011
australia
hi i cant get it to run propaly it will run with choke on but it boggs down when off i have changed carby plug and the only other thing was the muffler snapped so i welded it back on but im dont no what else to do please help:-||

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
If it's air leaks, wouldn't the choke being on (lack of air) mean it shouldn't run also?
Maybe I understand how they work wrong...

@peiceofsh!t: You sure you got on and off correct? Choke on is when the lever is up, choke off is when the lever is down.
On restricting air intake, off allowing maximum intake.

By the way, where in Australia are you?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the choke is on to make it run then it would be using the air from the air leaks for a running mix,,choke on sucks more gas up the jet hole

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Ah... So that's why we start with the choke on; to pump more fuel in there and get the engine going.

If there is a leak, it may still start since there's more fuel in the fuel:air ratio, whereas with the choke off, the air content would be too high for the engine to work with, no enough fuel; just my guess.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The carb operates on vaccum system, as the air is pulled through it ,the fuel is pulled up the jet to become the correct air/fuel mix in the air flowing through the carb.on the way to the motor,,,if there are air leaks between the carb. and engine, there is less air going through the carb. to create the vaccum which means less fuel in the mix and it wont fire