Ebay China 68.5/80cc kits..........

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Run one everyday at least 20miles, day in, day out for one year. You will not make it with an out of the box kit without any aftermarket fixerupper parts.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Ive had zero issues with either of my builds after breakin. In fact for a $99 engine kit Id be very happy to be able to get 20 miles per day for the year. If it does break Ill fix it or buy a brand new kit t slap on there.

Can you imagine how screwed up and unreliable everyones car would be if people were forced to assemble them from kit form?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
"Far", that is a good word. I can throw a stone far too. Standing on this side of that bridge and looking across the bridge to the other side is far. If you mosey out there to the middle of the bridge and then look to the other side, it will look even farther even though it is closer.

Lets say you are a father, and you buy your son a knockoff china 80cc motorcycle that replicates/clones a Yamaha YZ80.

Now a factory stock Yamaha YZ80 2 stroke motorcycle will probably go about 60mph. But you got the china clone. So lets say it should go at least 45mph. You are happy with that because you son doesn't need to be riding like a bat out of **** anyway. However it still should last. Riding everyday 20miles everyday for 1 year It should make it.

I have owned 2 ebay china 68.5/80cc engine kits. They will not last riding them every day for 20miles for 1 year. Also the average top speed on them was only 28mph.

Don't you think there is something wrong with that? A 68.5/80cc engine can only put out/make 28mph?

I have made other builds after that using smaller engines. And have gotten greater top end out of a smaller engine.

I've gotten top speed out of a Honda 31cc engine of 31mph.
I've gotten top speed out of a HF 52cc/MonsterScooter Clone of 36mph
&
Top speed out of another HF 52cc/MonsterScooter Clone of 37mph.

Something just doesn't add up.....................................................

They market them under the 80cc surname to get more buyers. The bigger is better mentality. However they are only 68.5cc and put out less power than 30cc engines.

What is wild is.............................................................

They probably outsell all other kits 10 to 1. I wouldn't be surprised if they outsold their competition 100 to 1.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't know where you're going with this post.

there's plenty of posts here about the longevity of these motors. mine is still going strong and it's a litle over a year old, with a lot of miles on it, and goes a lot faster than 28mph. i still trust it to make full throttle runs all day, everyday ('cept now, 'cause it's raining.) i average 10-30miles a day, and on a nice weekend have no problems blasting around till the tank's empty, putting in anywhere from 70 to 150 miles over the weekend.

i also never wait around for my bike to warm up, and once i'm on it, i'm WOT all the way.

i dunno if you're saying ebay kits are different from others, but they're not. everyone gets them from the same suppliers, and there's only a handful of different brands out there. it's not like they have an "ebay only" discount junk pile.

when you say "...without any aftermarket fixerupper parts..." again, i dunno what you're trying to say. if you're talking about the levers, plugwires, chains, etc, then i agree. those parts are pretty lousy, but if you mean the actual engine and it's related parts (carb, exhaust, CDI, etc) usually you can run the stock kit parts for a long, long time.

sure you're gonna have to work on it from time to time, but most of the problems have already been identified. everyone knows their exhaust cap is gonna come loose, that their chain is gonna "stretch," and that their gas tank studs are gonna leak... it's always a work in progress, but if you know what you're doing, none of these things will cause you any real downtime.

the reason they're only capable of 28 (+/-)mph out of the box is mostly due to gearing, and i think that's a pretty wise choice, since the average builder isn't using a bicycle designed for higher speeds anyway. but with a small amount of work, these engines can easily exceed 40mph. my bike has the stock carb (modified) and the stock exhaust (modified) and is capable of speeds, well, i hate to post numbers without proof, but lets just say if i squeezed a few more mph out of it, i could ride in the slow lane on the freeway.

so whatever you're trying to say with that picture, i'll cross that bridge when i come to it...

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I don't get the picture
I was planning on building a bike, not a bridge

And I understand that hatred of Chinese products is based largely on Chinese envy I still don't get why people feel the need to try to force their opinions on people that obviously do not suffer from that issue

Last edited by a moderator:

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Oh yea....they outsell the competition not because they are the best engine available(although imho they are very good) but rather because they are clearly the best engine for the money .... you cant beat the value of these little engines.....

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
IMHO You put these engines on a good bike with heavy duty wheels etc for higher speeds and perfect durability. Brakes, sprocket adapters too! Leave them stock with stock gearing and a bit de-tuned for a weaker foundation [not as durable] and go slower there not bad at all either. Clean the whole install...thing up right their Sweet!!!!!!! They will go and go a very long time...:)