engine broke :(!

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just want to clear something up about the QuickSilver oil peppers said he was using, QuickSilver Marine oil is not a junky oil at all, it is an oil that is highly recommended for marine use & all 2cycle engines, I have run loads of it over the years, it's not a Wally World brand it is a top of the line oil that is recommended for & by Mercury Marine, I have used it a long time in my Stratos bass boat with zero issues, and I have close to 800 miles on my first china girl engine build and I ran the QuickSilver oil @ 25:1 for about 150 miles and then went to 40:1 without any problems, I use a premium full synthetic oil made by Schaeffer Oil now I run it at 40:1, my opinion is that it may have been a combination of things that went wrong, oil mix wrong... possibly, weak lower needle bearing from the start, I know how it goes sometime I had a simular problem with one of these engines lower needle bearing broke and a fragment of it made it up the tranfer port to the top of piston, which ended up between piston ring and port, the rest is history and so was that engine, and it only had maybe 50 miles on it at the most when it came undone.
I've use the QuickSilver oil in weedwackers and my chainsaws for years and they run great, a very good local Marine mechanic recommends it highly because of how clean it runs, he said to stay away from Penzoil, Valvoline, ect. and any of the cheap oil company brands of 2cycle oils because they will carbon up a 2 smoker way quicker than the QuickSilver Oil and end up causing problems down the road, of coarse he is mainly referring to the outboard marine engines but he's been building those engines for a gillion years and knows what he is talking about, so I have NO fear of the QuickSilver oil if mixed properly but I do think a full synthetic high grade oil is the best choice for these poorly built china girls, thats why I switched to a full syn. with a moly additive.

Just my experience and $.02 nothing more nothing less

Good Day.....!

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I have ridden the bike around quite a bit, more often than not at full throttle also I have ended up jumping off a few curbs which jarred the engine pretty good, in addition to this the bike has gotten knocked over a handful of times. These could be contributing factors.

Last edited:

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
well the new engine dose seem to be of higher quality, it looks about the same as the old one sept the slant on top of the cylinder and the clutch is a little different. Also this one is painted gray when the old one was bare metal.

performance wise the engine is much easier to turn over and the clutch works a bit smoother, also the engine runs a bit quieter but this could be related to new fuel mixture

As for the new oil, the fuel dose still have a slight blue tint but its mostly clear, performance wise I have no idea.

I thank everyone for there assistance.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
well the new engine dose seem to be of higher quality, it looks about the same as the old one sept the slant on top of the cylinder and the clutch is a little different. Also this one is painted gray when the old one was bare metal.

performance wise the engine is much easier to turn over and the clutch works a bit smoother, also the engine runs a bit quieter but this could be related to new fuel mixture

As for the new oil, the fuel dose still have a slight blue tint but its mostly clear, performance wise I have no idea.

I thank everyone for there assistance.
You are very welcome peppers, that is what this forum is all about, and there are some really great people here that can help you resolve just about anything you can encounter on one of these little HT's and others, as silverbear said and I do also wishyou happy safe riding and it is good to hear you are up and running again.

dance1

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
OK I was riding around today and I found something interesting, some of the time when I stopped wile holding down the clutch instead of the engine stopping it would idle. One time when I wanted to stop riding I had to use the kill switch to shut off the engine.

I did not think these engines did idle, my old engine never did that. I would very much like my bike to do this every time I stop, how do I make that happen?

edit: nevermind I did some experimenting and found that it seems I cannot actually use this to keep going once I want to continue.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
OK I was riding around today and I found something interesting, some of the time when I stopped wile holding down the clutch instead of the engine stopping it would idle. One time when I wanted to stop riding I had to use the kill switch to shut off the engine.

I did not think these engines did idle, my old engine never did that. I would very much like my bike to do this every time I stop, how do I make that happen?

edit: nevermind I did some experimenting and found that it seems I cannot actually use this to keep going once I want to continue.
You do that by adjusting the idle. There is only one adjustment screw on the HT carburetor and that is for adjusting the idle. I forget which way increases or decreases the idle speed, but if you fiddle with it you'll find out. Seems to me that turning it counter clockwise increasing idle speed if I remember right. You can't hurt anything so go ahead and fiddle. Good luck.
SB

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
So if I where to do this could I actually use the engine power to continue on my way after stopping? Cuz thats really what I'm after.
I actually have got the engine to idle pretty consistently but if I let go of the clutch the engine stops.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nope. Try that and you'll stall every time and if you give it a whole lot of gas and let the clutch out slowly you'll burn up your clutch. If you want to do what you're talking about you need an automatic. So, you leave the engine running, pedal as if it wasn't and then let out the clutch as you give it gas. Go easy on that clutch or you'll wreck it.
SB

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
peppers you will always have to get peddling up to about a good jogging speed and then let out on the clutch and give it some throttle after the clutch is fully engaged or just as silverbear has already said you will "wreck" your clutch.