Bike does not maintain propulsion

GoldenMotor.com

T NINE16

Sep 23, 2010
Sac
Hey guys,
First post here. I got a curious issue i can't seem to figure out. My bike starts up instantly and idles well but it will does not sustain propulsion. When it first starts up it accelerates wonderfully but then all of a sudden it stops accelerating? The engine does not die but twisting the throttle has no affect on the power for a short bit. If i wait i second and accelerate again it picks right back up but then dies down shortly after. To ride it i have to gas... wait... gas some more. Again, the engine does not die completely when this happens. I can hear a difference in the engine when i give it gas even when there is no acceleration. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?
Thanks
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
check float level in carb. it may be set wrong causing fuel level to be very low in float bowl which will not allow enough fuel to enter carb. fast enough to keep up with the demand of the engine as it revs up, this seems to me to be your likely solution.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Take mapbike's advice but also make sure fuel is flowing from the tank sufficently to keep the engine running. To check this, pull the fuel line from the carburetor and turn the fuel valve (petcock) on. You should have a steady stream flowing from the tank. If it only drips then you have a blockage in the petcock or filter that should be attached to it. If fuel flows a steady stream, no matter the size, then your problem might be a clogged needle valve in the carburetor, or as mapbike said, the float is way too low.
Try these things and let us know in this thread what you find.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
One thing to add, the carb is supposed to be level so if you had to mount your engine so the bowl is at an angle the float is your problem. I've seen a lot of builds that have the carb at such a steep angle I'm actually surprised the engine runs at all.

T NINE16

Sep 23, 2010
Sac
You guys are the best! Thanks for the quick responses. I will try all this soon and get back to you on what worked/didn't.

Thanks again,
Tom