Exhaust pipe cracking at weld...any way to seal?

GoldenMotor.com

jlew

Jun 7, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
After about eighty miles on my chinese 2-stroke, the weld where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler is begininng to crack. I notice a small amount of exhaust escaping through this crack. Is there any way to seal this (i do not have access to a welder or anything of the sort, the best ive got is a soldering iron) or should i just take the plunge and buy a new exhaust pipe. I hope it's not the latter because it took me a while to find someone to bend the first one for me :-||

here's a bad phone picture:

Thanks!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Take it to a muffler shop for cars get them to re-weld it. If there nice enough they will do it for free.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Some converter hose, a saws all, an empty can of bug spray, an emt fitting and some hose clamps, was my weldless muffler fix for the same problem.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I will try to post pics on monday, I had the same problem, and came up with a pretty decent low cost, no weld solution. I had it welded once, but it did not hold, the problem stems from not having the muffler mounted securely. Using the converter hose gives a little bit of flex for a solid mount.

jlew

Jun 7, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
i bought and applied some muffler paste stuff. waiting for it to dry now. i think that if it doesnt hold i'll go for an sbp pipe.

taco: that's the stock weld

ferball: converter hose? whats that?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Flexible hose for catalytic converters, high temp flexible hose, and it is cheap too

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Too bad you're in Wolverine country, I could have that fixed for you in 5 minutes.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Too bad you're in Wolverine country, I could have that fixed for you in 5 minutes.
Know how you feel...a no cost fix.

I'd either wield or braze it, but due to the fact it's a crack and not broken, I think a torch and silver solder might do the trick.

Last edited:

gelfling6

Aug 25, 2010
Canton, Connecticut (USA)
When I got mine a little more than 2 years ago, The weld was incomplete. (ht 80cc)..

The rounded end of the muffler where the pipe went in, had openings all around. My only idea was to seal it permanently! A simple Mapp/Oxy welding torch, and Copper/phosphorus brazing rods, I put a little bit more seal around the perimeter of the pipe. My 1st time welding, so It actually came out a little sloppy, but completely sealed.

Stephen (gelfling6)

--:Hang-On! I forgot to connect the kill switch!