Takes 10 minutes (and a lot of energy) to get it started!

GoldenMotor.com

ccgascity

Jul 18, 2010
Marion IN
Well, my bike has been working pretty good for a couple days, but recently it has been taking me around 10 minutes to get the thing started. Once I get it started it works fine. I can shut it off and start it back up again with no problems. But when I shut it off and let it set for a couple of hours, it takes a lot of work to get it going again. Is there any adjustments I can make to get it started quicker? Has anybody else had this problem?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
even after ten minutes the friction wouldn't make it warm enough for the choke to need changed, so it sounds like your gas isn't getting to your carb

ccgascity

Jul 18, 2010
Marion IN
Well thanks for the help. Yea it might be a priming issue. I usually pump it before I try to start it but nothing happens. Im going to tinker around with it some more. Thanks for the help.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Float bowl may be going dry....use tickle primer with at least 20 pushes on it, don't use full choke, partial choke works best in my opinion, replace china plug with a japanese one, check foam airfilter to ensure it isn't clogged with oil, check (remove best) the small mesh fuel filter that is in the fuel tank connected the petcock valve.
Check float bowl level.

Oh, none of this 20-25:1 oil ratios....32:1 is sufficent and should start easier.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It does sound like you aren't using enough prime.
You don't have to pump the primer, just hold it down. It's kind of hard to flood a cold two stroke unless you get really crazy.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Check everything starting from the tank to the needle. The filter in the tank could be clogged, your float might be cracked(then it sinks)- just check everything and make sure it works.

BTW the primer works by pushing the float down(if you've ever been in the back of a toilet you might know you can fill it up by holding the float down) That's how the carb's float works. Pumping it will work, but will take longer to put more gas in the carb than just holding it down.

A thing to try and see if gas gets to the bowl is to put a bowl(not plastic) under the carb and unsrew the screw on the bottom. If your gas valve is open, gas should continue to come out.

One more thing- make sure your air intake tube is bolted to the engine tight. An air leak between the carb and engine can cause all kinds of problems.

Hope you get it running!

Last edited: