Help! I'm Choking!

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The doggone F@&^%#g choke lever nut keeps loosening up after a while, while I'm riding. She'll start running funny, then die. I'll look down, and the %$&^%$%&^ choke lever has its a$$ in the air! (I know, I know, somebody will soon ask why I didn't put a nylock on there or maybe lock-tite it. And I'll have to answer "I don't know, Just being stupid I guess.")
But now - I just want to take it off of there. How many of you out there have just taken that little trouble-maker clean off? Any repercussions I should know about. Is your bike MUCH harder to start when it's cold out. In other words: what all would I be dealing with, without my choke?

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
It's fine to take it off. Takes 2 seconds.
If your bike is hard to start, give it some gas when you pop the clutch.

If that dosn't work for you, use the nyloc nut.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Or just put some *%$*&*^ing loctite on the &%@_*&$@#* thing and forget it..

You kinda need the choke to start the &*#%*(*^$# bike or at last you need to prime the &@*%#$^*&$%@% out of it. But that's still not substitute for the F^@%*^$ ing choke.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Put a rubber band from the choke lever to the rear engine mount bolt! (That'll keep the choke open!) ;)
I took a look at how the engine is mounted and where the choke lever is - in relation to where I sit, and the overall size of my seat, and I decided that if I use as strong a rubberband as I am likely to need, if it ever breaks it will be aimed straight at my jewels. All things considered, Lock-Tite's looking better all the time.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Or just put some *%$*&*^ing loctite on the &%@_*&$@#* thing and forget it..

You kinda need the choke to start the &*#%*(*^$# bike or at last you need to prime the &@*%#$^*&$%@% out of it. But that's still not substitute for the F^@%*^$ ing choke.
I see you and I speak the same F%#&#$G language. Must be an Ohio thing. (Born in Mansfield.) Yeah, I think you're right, I may just put some Lock-Tite on it and see how that goes.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
You might want to rename this thread The ( ozzie osborne thread ) and we can come here just to get the bleeping bleep off our bleeping chest when we get choked by bleeping exhaust fumes and bleep

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I took a look at how the engine is mounted and where the choke lever is - in relation to where I sit, and the overall size of my seat, and I decided that if I use as strong a rubberband as I am likely to need, if it ever breaks it will be aimed straight at my jewels. All things considered, Lock-Tite's looking better all the time.
How strong of a rubber band do you really think you need to hold that tiny choke lever down??? :rolleyes:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
How strong of a rubber band do you really think you need to hold that tiny choke lever down??? :rolleyes:
Strong enough not to break, at least until I can contrive something more permanent. 'Cause if it broke while I was pedaling or not sitting all the way down, well, it would come as an unpleasant surprise at a time when I need to keep my mind on the road.
I don't need my fellow drivers asking questions when they see me pedal halfway out into an intersection, shout an obsenity, grab my crotch, and hop the curb.
On the other hand, I suppose the odds are it would probably happen while I'm just riding along, or while parked, or not at all for some long time. But...ya never know. See, I told ya-all I was paranoid.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Most hardware stores sell a fine selection of assorted springs if a rubber band isn't your style.