Magneto Failure

GoldenMotor.com

JDN10

Jun 24, 2010
Laramie, Wy
Hi everyone, I must start by saying that I would not have had as much initial success with my motorized bicycle if it wasn't for the knoledge contained in this site. On that note I felt that I should return the favor through posting some of my experience.

Recently my mag failed and I pulled the unit to find what had happened. It failed due to the grounding wire breaking right where it passes through the plastic. Is this a place that others have had failure? If so I think that alittle preventative work could go along way on the mag coil. I didn't have another mag on hand so I soldered the conection back together (very time consuming and risky). Then I used epoxy and coated the small (hair like) grounding wire and the entire coil and blue and white wire connection as well. This should make the mag much more robust and less prone to wire breakage and moisture infiltration. This is comon on most mags and generators to prevent failure and it is easy to do.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
JDN10,
welcome to the forum! Lot's of answers to be found here. I havn't had a mag failure as you stated, but it is prone to water intrusion, that screw in grommet does nothing. if you drive thru water, make sure you drain it after your ride. Down the list under "Norms 2 stroke repair" norm shows how to rewind, read out the mag, something to look at and welcome again.

Mac