Clutch Problems

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Having issues with my clutch. Seems I tightened it using the flower nut just fine and the clutch will pull the arm in fine, but after a certain period of time i notice I have to tightened the flower nut even further up the wire.

It has gotten to the point where I literally need to have the clutch actuator arm pulled in under and passed the float bowl in almost 90 degree angle with the engine casing. At first it only needed to go in 1/4 of an inch and the bike would allow me to peddle when pulling the clutch in.

Is there some way to adjust the clutch arm? I have looked and my bearing and pin are still in place in the gear pulling the chain that (the bearing and pin that the clutch actuator arm depresses to release / engage clutch)

Any ideas, ever since I had my exhaust pipe fall off I have had float bowl issues and clutch issues with the bike even tho I havent riden it since the Exhaust fell off. I have replaced the exhaust for a new one and have adjusted the float bowl but am dealing with the cluth now.

I have checked the diagram and videos on the clutch arm actuator assembly but still cant fiind why i need to constantly make adjustments to the clutch despite the flower nut not moving down on the wire (flower nut stays in place on wire, and needs to be moved further up wire each time (tighter)

Thanks

Watts

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ummm, flower nut, are you referring to the flower shaped nut in the center of the clutch, inside the gear case cover, or the adjuster on the end of the cable where it attaches to the engine case.
I'm just trying to better understand what is going on here.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
look at the ball and pin it the center of the drive sproket again,I bet the pin is wearing off smoothe and getting shorter,,It and the ball should be covered in grease to lessen wear,,,need to make a longer pin again(length varies ,so cut long and shorten to fit may take a few trys, so the clutch arm is back where it is suposed to be,5:30-5:00 position before squeezing the lever),,,,,,,remember to turn your adjustments back to the start

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think this "flower nut" is actually the cable stop....and you guys wonder why I go off on a crazyness when people talk about "adjust the flower nut, adjust the flower nut"?

I second the motion to remove the rod and ball, and replace the rod with one a mm or two longer. If it's too long, just grind it down on a bench grinder, just a little at a time until it is perfect.

Grease the ball and rod before replacement.

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
I have a backup engine kit that has a brand new pin and bearing and tried using that one and still same problem. Yes sorry the flower nut i mean the adjuster nut on the clutch cable used to tighten it.

The new pin and old pin look same length..granted the old pin has worn some of the sides off slightly, the new pin is covered in grease and same length and is from same engine..but still not working.

Is it possible I over tightened the clutch? why is there a screw head on the clutch actuator arm??
Also as a side note I am able to get the ballbearing out of the extra engine (new one), but cant seem to remove the ball bearing from the old engine??!

Thanks

Watts

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Does the new pin fit in the older engine and stick out the same distance as in the new engine?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Is the screw head right in the end of the clutch arm?,,,and if it is then turn your adjuster on the clutch lever and the one where the housing stops at the motor all the way back in ,make sure the pin and ball stick out the same on both motors ,,if they do put it back together and re-attatch the clutch cable