Pocket bike engine + cvt build start

GoldenMotor.com

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I am actually starting my pocket bike build I have been rambling about all over the forum! I have the cvt on order and should get it later this week, i'm pretty stoked to see how one of these compares to a china girl.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
cool , yeah i was just looking at your frame and its got that dirt jumper shape to it . engine,s gonna be sittin pretty high iether way . whats your plan for the tank ?

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Keep us posted... I want to do the same but either with a 49-50cc or a 70cc ATV motor that has automatic gears.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
Well, I got the cvt and realized that there is a reason no one mounts them in frame.... with the cvt it is over a foot wide and way to bulky to allow for pedaling.... so I think this is going to become a rack mount...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well, I got the cvt and realized that there is a reason no one mounts them in frame.... with the cvt it is over a foot wide and way to bulky to allow for pedaling.... so I think this is going to become a rack mount...
I have the same motor and already tried to mount in frame lol

Unfortunately mine broke when I went to test fire it for chain alignment.

Attachments

deXtrous

Feb 28, 2010
Australia
Hey mate, I got the exact same pocket bike motor as you. Just stripped it down and retuned the carb.

Don't really know too much about motors and the such but two strokes seem pretty easy to self learn.

Just wondering if I need to take gear ratios into account? Can I use the sprocket from the pocket bike or is it adviseable to buy a new one? (reason why I ask is because I stripped the allen key head when trying to remove it - wondering if it was worth the effort to get it off).

Sorry for the hijack! :)

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
given that a pocket bike has about a 6-12 inch tire the gear ratio will be to high when hooked up to a 26 inch bicycle tire, you will probably have to buy a bigger rear sprocket.(depending on which gear box you are going to use)

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have the same engine & a CVT. Wanted to frame mount, damm that setup is wide! Also I recieved the motor (new) missing the wrist pin snap rings. Glad I noticed it before running the engine, would have been mighty UGLY.
I will be watching your progress.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thunk John, how about mounting the CVT to an "L" bracket on the seat post and a sprocket/chain from engine shaft. Be funky lookin but would work.

hmm, or belt?

Dunno, looking forward to seeing what ya come up with.

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
wow cool build im starting a worksman frame with same motor in frame no transmission. 12t front 72t rear but idk yet. friend on here said 40mph top speed. and u going in frame?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
wow cool build im starting a worksman frame with same motor in frame no transmission. 12t front 72t rear but idk yet. friend on here said 40mph top speed. and u going in frame?
Bobby, you'll still need the chain-drive transmiission, which bolts onto the pb clutch. With its 3.25:1 gearing, that'll give you 18.75:1.....perfect for starters.dance1

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
looks like i need new gear ratios then. im going to run it w/o the transmission. like the china girl. one speed. anyone know a good ratio for this?

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I built one with a cvt and made a rack mount, for dual suspension.
With the help of NEAT TIMES and others I found parts to drive all sprockets from the right side.(the cvt reverses the rotation) It works great.

The other is in frame and homemade shift kit with parts from SBP.
It has 6 speed and also works great. I first built a china girl and found these CAG motors have way more power and reliability.

Attachments

Last edited: