TREK 4500/ GEBE w/ GP460 build

GoldenMotor.com
May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
well, started assembly tody, and of course being at my day job, trying to hurry and having my head you know where, the first thing i did was stupid but i later saved it.

this first pic is the scribe for removing material to mount the DDM Dominator pipe. you will probably see 2 things wrong right away.

2nd pic is the silencer stinger installed in the pipe.

3rd pipe in mookup position, this is where i realized what a dope i am.

4th starting to get it working anyway. bracket bolts in place.

5th rear bracket bolt spacers, using long bolts from header kit.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
11th business end

12th curb side

beyond that i test fit the upright bracket, every thing good there.

waiting for my tires t be mounted , will probably fire it up Monday night .

more pics and commentary to follow.

ps, i did recieve and install the super secret clutch springs, can't wait to see how they work.

thanks,
steve

Attachments

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
yeah, all that's needed is to remove 1/2" total verticle form the bottom of the bracket in a 'sliver moon" shape that is INSIDE both the bolt holes.

if done correctly, you can lay the pipe bracket against the front face of the GEBE drive unit, drop the bolts thru into the upper two top drive unit holes for refference and scribe the back of the bracket.

what i did was much more involved and totally stupid.

i bought the black pipe because it's cheaper knowing i was going to cut on it. now that i have it worked out i'm probably going to get a chrome one and sell this one to someone that's not as anal as i am.

thanks,
steve

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
spad4me,
which part #'s do you need ?

the clutch springs were a "scrounging thru the parts bin " fluke. i have them installed and may be the first to try them. looking at the red stockers, the bare metal clutch savers and some other green ones that are out there, these are smaller dia. wire, 6 coils, smaller outer coil dia.

if these don't fly open at idle, i think they'll be fine. i have all the specs mic'd and will be hitting the scooter shops monday. i also may be able to find them in the online spring makers catalogs, i've been having pretty good luck there lately.

long answer short, yes, if we can source them they will be available.

thanks,
steve

ps, if you really want to get into clutches and springs go over to gopednation.com, those guys are brutal on stuff and the after market is huge.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I did not know that an engine flip, Intake to the front and stock exhaust to the rear as mounted , was possible on a GP460.
According to goped nation you will only get about 2 months of life out of softer clutch springs?

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
this engine mounts intake rear, muffler front and that's the way they run them in gopedland.

on the bike will be the same thing, carb off the back, header coming out toward the seat post then up over the top.

steve

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
i see now what you're talking about . there is a thread over there that refers to this cyl/piston swap mod, seems it can be done if you take all the nec. steps and assume the risks.

it looks like it will be fine the way it is for me.

as for the comment about oil from the stock exhaust, i'd say someone must be running over rich on the fuel/oil mix if it's running out the pipe.

steve

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I like your mod, But I believe that the first time your chamber goes into resonance. The torque will peel the teeth off the drive belt.
I believe that a chain drive would serve you better.
But hey if the belt does work it will be both easy and smooth.
Good luck.

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
i'm tracking you and admit that i made the decision i did mostly against the roughly 70/30 odds that it would hold.

if it dosen't, i'll take off the pipe and see if the next belt will hold. if that doesn't work either, it'll be back to the pipe and chain drive.

thanks,
steve

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
i'm tracking you and admit that i made the decision i did mostly against the roughly 70/30 odds that it would hold.

if it dosen't, i'll take off the pipe and see if the next belt will hold. if that doesn't work either, it'll be back to the pipe and chain drive.

thanks,
steve
I hope it works out for you.
But if it doesn't wanna sell the gebe drive ring and sprocket .
If you decide to sell beat me over the head until I wake up.

I am a victim of Matressa Glucosa ( glued to the mattress).

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
Gentlemen,
i have riden the Dragon.

got my wheels from the shop, installed the mount and engine. no particular events or issues to the GEBE install.

i had thought i'd have to put acouple of extra washers behind the drive cog but found it wasn't needed at this time. time and belt stretch will tell, if i absolutely must i'll drop back to the Conti- Town &Country 2.1 tires. have the Bontrager Hank 2.2's on now, and happy so far, great ride out of them. these TALL tires and the 14T cog REALLY roll, at just half throttle the bike was making some decent speed.

the springs that i was given to try are indeed very close to 3000 rpm engagers so i'll try to source some more. in the mean time for those that have engines with the 76-78mm 3 shoe clutch, if you want 3000 rpm springs get ahold of the folks at Staton, they have them. if you go to their site put "Honda GXH50 clutch" into the search bar. about $4.00 each.

the bike is nowhere near complete, actually have the fuel tank duct taped on for shake down runs !!

i'll clean it up and get some pics soon.

thanks,
steve

Last edited:
May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
NUTS,
i ran it more today and had an accidental and a purposeful ( to be sure what i felt the first time ) insidence of belt jump.

this happened when i was holding 1/2 throttle and hitting a bump bounced down another approx.1/8 on the gas. i'm pretty sure it was the pipe comming on.

first attemp to stop it will be to add another spring to the tensioner. after that go back to the stock exhaust, last and i hope unlikely chain drive. a guy i'm emailing is running this engine with perfect luck on the stock exhaust so we'll see.

i told you so's accepted,

steve

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
for those of you that may have been looking at the GEBE system and are now kind of disappointed let me give you an update that may put your mind at ease.

my situation is NOT typical of the GEBE product performance.

i have a HIGH powered engine AND i have been using 3000rpm engagement springs. the springs are THE most likey damage and failure producers.

with the stock springs when you let off the gas the clutch drops out of engagement pretty quick. that means little to no compression braking and reverse torque against the tensioning system.

both the comp. braking and reverse feeding of torque thru the drive system were never intended nor compensated by design or function.

if you look at the drive and tension arrangements you can see that these conditions will put high and uncontrollable strain on the belt, clutch, and engine.

a new belt is on the way and i'm putting some 6400rpm springs in the clutch while i wait.

i'm very hopful this will clear my problems up.

thanks,
steve

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
just to bring things up to date.

i found that i had overlooked some details and been unaware of others involved with the mounting of my main mount strap and the need to have a PERFECTLY aligned and tension free assembly.

my belt problems were traced to installed and induced flex of the main mount strap, which pushed/ pulled the drive cog back and forth in and ou tof alignment with the drive ring causing the belt to "climb" the sides of the cog and or dirve ring. that caused a loss of contact and of course slipping and RAPID destruction of the belt. i now have all this worked out.

the only other concern or issue for my build is engine related. this GP460 is SO strong that i have resulted to finding the sweet spot of tensioner position and bolted the tension arm down in that spot with the nut.

my break in is done and i have been riding distances for pleasure with no problems.

36mph is 8600rpm ( 1/2 throttle ) 45mph isn't much higher so topend is going to be atleast 55mph.

i've done some measured fuel / distance traveled math and currently getting 151mpg running lots of high speed.

couldn't be happier,

steve