selling custom chain tensioners

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
im going to start selling my design of chain tensioner, basically its a block of uhmw(ultra high molecular weight) it looks like plastic, but trust me its not!, you cut a groove for the chain on the top and drill and tap holes for the bolts, it bolts right up onto the standard mount for the cheap wheel type chain tensioner, they will be available in many different colours, im still working out what it will cost me for the material and the use of the laser etching machine, i will try to keep the cost as low(because who wants to buy an expensive chain tensioner right?) once i work that out i will give you a lifetime warranty on it, from wear and tear, mine so far has well over 5500kms on it, and it doesn't show any signs of wear, here is a picture(not very good) the ones i would be selling would be allot better than the one pictured below, oh and before you ask, no it doesn't slow the chain down, or give any more resistance that the standard wheel, in fact i believe its less,

thanks and let me know if you would be interested,
block.jpg

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It looks nice & I'm sure it works good, but.... I think you should use a nicer bike for your photo to show off your new product!!!

You know, one thats not all scratched up & doesn't have rusty bolts, & missing & frayed cables & electrical hanging from the frame & so on & so on.... :rolleyes:
You really need your new product to look more 'professional' than that!!!
(just a thought... )

Also, when you get them done, hit me up, maybe I can sell some for you!! ;)

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
It looks nice & I'm sure it works good, but.... I think you should use a nicer bike for your photo to show off your new product!!!

You know, one thats not all scratched up & doesn't have rusty bolts, & missing & frayed cables & electrical hanging from the frame & so on & so on.... :rolleyes:
You really need your new product to look more 'professional' than that!!!
(just a thought... )

Also, when you get them done, hit me up, maybe I can sell some for you!! ;)

well this is my only bike, actually that picture is half a year old, you should see the bike now!!!

i will take photos of just the tensioner when i get home,

and thanks for the offer, motorboys is also interested in selling them,

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
so this chain tensioner does not roll like the wheel tensioner? this is a block chain tensioner?

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
glad to hear that there are more replacement parts that are available and more durable... :)

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
please Please!! Hurry on this ASAP
my current plastic wheel tensioner causes my chain to fall off the geer and get jammed into the wheel spokes at random times, (my rear wheel is missing a couple and doesnt look safe) also making my chain eat into the actual frame.

I'm Very interested in this.:-||

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
hey guys, im working on it now, i have them going into production today, here is a few pictures of mine, keep in mind it has 5500kms of not being touched on it, i just put it on and left it, the ones i sell will come in many colours, and they will come with a lifetime warranty, and i will honor that, im working out what they will cost, i will have figures by the end of the day, and hopefully can begin to sell them by the end of this week, il update once i have them, and you can pm me or something, im looking into making a website(if anyone knows how i can do this pm me) again, these pics were dirty, i will have good ones of the new ones once there made.
Snapshot_20091209.JPG

Snapshot_20091209_1.JPG

Snapshot_20091209_2.JPG

Snapshot_20091209_3.JPG

Snapshot_20091209_4.JPG

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
hey darrick, post a pic of your bike. this is the third thread i've seen you on in ten minutes trying to find an answer for your tensioner probs. maybe i, or someone else can help you get it right...
Pics wont show the angle problems with the setup on my frame.
I'll make a short vid and try to post it tonight.
Really just looking for quick fixes/alternatives to the stock tensioner- always have to move/re-tighten it after a ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The real quick fix is to Take the ime to set the stock one up properly and mount it so the chain run is straight and the chain rides in the center of the pulley. Set up right they are good for 1000's of miles.
The only reason I did my skate wheel conversion was to "do something different". I have had several bikes with stock tensioners, no problems.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Pics wont show the angle problems with the setup on my frame.
I'll make a short vid and try to post it tonight.
Really just looking for quick fixes/alternatives to the stock tensioner- always have to move/re-tighten it after a ride.

try to explain it, i can make you something custom if you need.

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
The real quick fix is to Take the ime to set the stock one up properly and mount it so the chain run is straight and the chain rides in the center of the pulley. Set up right they are good for 1000's of miles.
The only reason I did my skate wheel conversion was to "do something different". I have had several bikes with stock tensioners, no problems.

I've already bent the upright metal portion to line it up straight with the chain, that helped the initial problem of the chain immediately falling into the spokes and ripping them out. Now its randomly. But also since the bolt to adjust the wheel height tightens opposite of the path of the chain, it falls and lowers itself after every ride, making the chain loose enough to fall of on the next start up.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ive got some good news, i can make them! im looking to get around 30 bucks apiece, let me know if you would like one, im offering a lifetime warranty on them too, im asking 30 plus shipping and handling, they will be made on a professional laser etching machine and if there are any problems than give me an email and i will replace it for free!, i will look over every one before i send it out.

so let me know if you want one!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I've already bent the upright metal portion to line it up straight with the chain, that helped the initial problem of the chain immediately falling into the spokes and ripping them out. Now its randomly. But also since the bolt to adjust the wheel height tightens opposite of the path of the chain, it falls and lowers itself after every ride, making the chain loose enough to fall of on the next start up.

A little loc-tite is a great thing.

Since linnux13's tensioner doesn't rotate, maybe that would solve your problems?

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Exactly what mine does.Use some grade 5 or better bolts as well.Put all your muscle into keeping the tensioner inline while torquing the bolts,it is a pain but it will work.

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
ive got some good news, i can make them! im looking to get around 30 bucks apiece, let me know if you would like one, im offering a lifetime warranty on them too, im asking 30 plus shipping and handling, they will be made on a professional laser etching machine and if there are any problems than give me an email and i will replace it for free!, i will look over every one before i send it out.

so let me know if you want one!

are they solid blocks, or is a starter groove cut on the top?-what angle?
Is there a hole already for the bolt or does it require drilling?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
are they solid blocks, or is a starter groove cut on the top?-what angle?
Is there a hole already for the bolt or does it require drilling?
the block is machined, it will come with all mounting hardware(bolts washers lockwashers) it will be plug and play, it will go on in less than a minute right where your old wheel was, no pain no hassle, the groove is being machined to the standard chain that comes with any HT hit,