First post researching for a boardtracker build!

GoldenMotor.com
Oct 16, 2014
Glendale, CA
Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been inspired to build a vintage looking boardtracker. I currently have a few mopeds that I run around town and the fun I am having with them caused me to research building something a bit faster. I have found the Sportsman Flyer and Bonneville version and have to say something along those lines is what I am looking for. I see he sells a frame, fork package and plan to look into that. My main question is I want something I can play around town with, but also do the occasional commute. My commute is all surface streets about 14 miles from Glendale to Culver City CA. It can be done on a moped as most of the time I am just riding from light to light so average speed is low. Since I already have mopeds, I am open to a larger CC 4 stroke motor and possibly registering it as a motorcycle. If I do so, do I need to add mirrors and such? I have a motorcycle license already as well. I have no desire to ride a bike on the freeway and city streets and rural roads are my goal.

Since I will be in busy traffic, I would need adequate brakes and possibly better tires than bicycle tires. If I need a light, I would opt for a clamp on high lumen LED bike light over a permanent headlight if that is allowed.

I am open to all advice and suggestions as I am just now learning all I can about these bikes. Also if anyone is in my area, I would love to see others creations.

Best regards,

Marc

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can't help thinking that a Whizzer with BTR bars is a reasonable starting point. I'd upgrade the forks and brakes though.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Welcome!

Be sure to carefully consider the state regulations and procedures before you begin. The process of applying for VIN and title can be complicated. You will likely need certificates of origin for major components: engine, transmission, frame, fork. Then there's state inspection. You might want to actually talk to someone at an inspection center but typically you would be expected to have all the normal road bike equipment: high/low beam headlight, horn, brake light, turn signals, reflectors, etc. They might also insist on DOT rated tires, which means you would need to incorporate 21" motorcycle wheels rather than bicycle wheels.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
As an example and for comparison:

There are different stages in UK rules; the basic 15mph Low Power Moped requires working pedal drive, one light at the front, one at the back. a working continuous note horn and working brakes. Also required are good condition tyres (but speed rating is not required) and a quiet exhaust with low visible emissions.

The moment you move up to a 28mph restriction, it all becomes much more like a commercially available motorcycle. Both classes are 50cc.

A VIN has to be applied for, stamped into the frame, and then the vehicle has to be taken to a VOSA test centre, where it will be poked with sticks to see if it complies with all the rules.

It's not actually difficult, but tedious.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello All,

This is my first post.

I am open to all advice and suggestions as I am just now learning all I can about these bikes. Also if anyone is in my area, I would love to see others creations.

Best regards,

Marc
Come on up to the Socal Motor Bicycle Racing event this Sat Oct 18th
at Grange Motor Circuit in Apple valley. :)

You will meet the premier builders in Socal and beyond including Culvercityclassic
and get to see some state of the art builds.

Silver State Cycles will be there with their made in Las Vegas board track frames,
tanks and seats.

It's a must not miss event and our 13th race.